Mumu and Freeze 48 hour Launch Party, 30.05.15
Image Credit: Phillippa Franks

Image Credit: Phillippa Franks

Normally on a night out in the Baltic Triangle, we’d get lost in the endless amounts of students, all looking for their Saturday night escape. But not last Saturday night: Mumu saw the older party goers come out for a bit of fun, whilst the students were left to their studies. On approach to New Bird Street’s warehouse, we were immediately confronted by the booming bass that was rattling its shell.

Walking into to a mist of red looming lights, we found an already lively crowd eagerly two-stepping to the beats of Enzo Siragusa. Siragusa was doing what he does best, immersing himself in the music; spinning out hypnotic techno building up to the arrival of Nina Kraviz. However, the wonder woman was nowhere to be seen as the crowd waited in anticipation. Finally, stepping up to the decks with only 90 minutes left, the crowd surged forward with excitement. Although the set she had was short, Nina was able to capture the audience by playing out the likes of Lady B, Swedish producer Patrik Skoog and her own brooding EP ‘The Deviant Octopus’ with IMPRV.

Her love for techno was well established throughout the set, the soundscapes adopting a Berlin-esque rhythm whilst the thumping bass dominated the room. There is no doubt that Mumu’s and Freeze’s launch party brought us two captivating performances in a venue that matched the calibre of the artists. August’s showcase will be awaited with great enthusiasm.

Words: Phillipa Franks