Xiu Xiu plays music of Twin Peaks @ Kazimier 6.10.15

Mention the names David Lynch and Twin Peaks to me and the inner film nerd within could bore you for hours about how one of the greatest directors of all time created a television masterpiece. So when I found out that the exquisite musical score from the show was being performed live in Liverpool in the perfect setting of The Kazimier it became my duty to turn up. The California based experimental noisepop group, Xiu Xiu formed by singer-songwriter Jamie Stewart, took their creativity and passion for the 90’s cult classic and divulged into a night of weird fantastical glory.

Accompanied with an image of the Palmer residence played on loop behind the set and a theatrical curtain placed to set the scene of the infamous Red Room, the crowd were immersed into the Twin Peaks setting before the band even struck the opening chord. The members took their place on stage and without a need for any introduction, started the set with the show’s title theme in true orchestral style with only 3 bodies producing such delicate sounds. The infamous image of Twin Peak’s pine trees swayed in the background as the crowd were hypnotised by the echoing keys and interwoven strings in order to mirror the immaculate score.

The powerful vocals of Jamie Stewart came into action as the set erupted into reflecting the sensual thoughts of Laura Palmer with the angelic vocals of The Nightingale. Andrews and Chen provided the heart pounding instrumentals whilst Stewart interpreted the stylistic moves of the show’s character The Man from Another Place. The crowd at this point, myself included, were in their Twin Peaks  element, but the best was yet to come. Towards the end of the set, the instrumentals extended and included all the dark sounds that fit so perfectly to Twin Peaks and the legacy that it holds to all David Lynch fans.

The conclusion of the night and the main spotlight of the show was the interlude of spoken words from Laura Palmer’s diary which Yvonne Chen read in such dramatic and divine manner. She tore the emotion of the character thoughts to shreds whilst Stewart and Andrews fitted the tone with accompanying sharp strings and piercing keys that created the perfect climax. The abrupt end to their set fitted the unusual darkness of Twin Peaks to a T. As crowd members left, the eerie sounds of the Red Room droned in the background making sure that everybody experienced the Lynchian creativity.

Helen Rabbitt

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17