Gong @ The Kazimier, 02.11.15
Image Credit: Retrobirth

Image Credit: Retrobirth

I would first like to open my review saying that The Kazimier is a wonderful venue. All who read this review should try and go see a show there as it’s life in the Liverpool music scene is tragically and un-fairly being drawn to an end by the Liverpool county council.

Mugstar opened the show with a strong set, their fusion of heavier rock with the psychedelic is impressive and it gives their songs an anarchic hue. The band played at a fast placed allowing the guitarist to dominate the sound created. I noticed that there was an absence of vocals and usually this would be a deterrent however due to the abstraction of the music, lyrics would not seem like the right accompaniment to the music.

Sam Weihl was in charge of the visual effects throughout the Mugstar performance and maybe the Gong performance as well and I thought I would just mention him, as the work, which he did on the Mugstar performance, is unparalleled. That is a bold statement as I’m not a veteran to these gigs however I thought until this gig that C2C were the only band capable of having such exuberant and powerful visual effects and I must say he easily surpassed them with his work.

Gong. This is a band that I knew very little about, and so before I attended the gig I did a little bit of digging and discovered that they are one of the first bands that the billionaire Richard Branson signed to his label and that they were the band that made him a millionaire. The band has been together since the early 1970’s and it is a shame to say that the original frontman and founder Daevid Allen has recently passed away at the age of 77. That being said they were very good, and since seeing them I have been desperately going through youtube videos of their music looking for the song with which they opened to, I even installed Shazam to help me find this song, and I must conclude that with a heavy heart that it is untraceable. The band also played some beautiful melodies interspersed with strong psychedelic riffs similar to that of the riff in “Magic Carpet Ride” by Steppenwolf. All in all I must say that the Gong/Mugstar gig was definitely one of the better gigs I have attended.

Words: Will Ehrman