Saint Raymond @ EVAC, 14.10.15

Saint Raymond is best categorised as an alternative preppy style, a bit like a cross between Jamie T and Foals. Saint Raymond is actually the stage name of Callum Burrows who is a singer songwriter from Nottingham.

The gig was held at the Arts Club, which is always a good venue, and the place was packed. So much so that about halfway through the set Burrows was no longer required to sing as the audience were almost competing in a game of who knew the most lyrics. I found this quite surprising as I had never heard of Saint Raymond before the gig, although I had listened to a couple of his songs (“Come Back To You”) but on the whole I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was blown away. Usually when you see an artist live their vocals aren’t as strong or the melodies as smooth as the recorded versions of their songs. However I think Burrows surpassed his recorded material last Saturday, maybe it was his stage presence or the accompanying band, but it just worked.

Burrows performs in a very dignified and silently passionate way as if he becomes one with his microphone. It’s as if he feels no need to go galloping across the stage and he lets his music stand for itself. His rendition of the great summer smash “Lean On” by Major Lazer was a superb cover and an interesting take as he bought his own style to the song. The accompaniment was also very good as both the bass guitarist and the lead were insane. The lead played with an anarchic energy with the bass guitarist personifying the quiet cool of blues music in his composure and rhythmic performance.

It appears that Saint Raymond is making ripples in the music scene at the moment and I think he will soon be making waves. I have never seen such a strong up and coming act, especially live, as his. I reckon in the next two years Saint Raymond will be up there with Foals and Alt-j sitting in that small pool of  indie/alternative artists who are considered the real deal. It seems Burrows just needs to play his cards right, and I am looking forward greatly to what he will produce next.

Words: Will Ehrman

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17