The Daydio Show
The Daydio Show

Red Bull Music Academy presents: Rhymeantics with D Double E, Footsie, AJ Tracey, Big Zuu, Dave, Jammz, Lady Leshurr, Ocean Wisdom and Tommy Genesis @ 24 Kitchen Street (09/10/16)

To conclude a wonderfully successful tour, Red Bull Music Academy hosted a unique event by hosting a star-studded event including some of the biggest and talent names, new and old, in the UK grime and Rap scenes. The setting internally was perfect for the occasion and for the day, with benches lined up across the floor to create a casual atmosphere, which suited the event.

Prior to the event, many were skeptical about how successful the event would be due to the instrumentals in grime and UK Rap being an integral part in the artistry. However, much to their surprise, by stripping the instrumentals from the performances, it forced the audience to focus on the talent on show and the heartfelt lyrics being rapped by the artists.

17-year-old grime artist Dave was certainly one of the most eagerly anticipated performers on the list. The exhilarating artist opened the ‘Rhymeantics’ event with a performance, which was new and unique for him, too. Nevertheless, he went on to leave the crowd in awe of his lyrical skill, performing songs such as ‘JKYL+HYD’, which undoubtedly set the bar very highly for the rest of the rappers that followed.

Jammz and Ocean Wisdom gave the audience performances, which not only showed that they could right, but also that they did not need instrumentals to create rhythm. They naturally created a flow, which pleased those in the crowd, making a statement about not only their own artistry but also grime in general, showing how crucial an understanding of rhythm is.

Hosted by legendary grime artist D Double E, The beauty of this event was that it was the perfect introduction for those who are interested in grime but did not know where to start. It put the lyrical skill on a platform where it could be appreciated directly, and not clouded by a good instrumental. The audience could see and feel what the lyrics meant to the artists on stage, with artists such as D Double E engaging with the audience asking them to raise their hands if they have any children and following up by expressing his love for his family through his lyrics.

West London-based artists AJ Tracey and Big Zuu performed verses from their popular songs, which certainly pleased the crowd and justified exactly why the two names are rated so highly amongst grime fans and music enthusiasts. As AJ Tracey performed the chorus for his hit ‘Leave Me Alone’, the crowd could not help but join in, showing how successful the track had become.

Lady Leshurr is known for her unique and humorous lyrics, and combined with her natural charisma and energy; she undoubtedly created an atmosphere, which fitted perfectly with her style, even without any instrumental. Rapper and visual artist Tommy Genesis also expressed her uniqueness and creativity by giving the audience an insight in to her personal love life. Dubbed as the ‘underground rap queen’, she was not intimidated by the intimate atmosphere and successfully reflected her emotions.

To close the special event, Footsie, who combines with D Double E to form the highly respected grime duo Newham Generals, gave an unforgettable set accompanied D Double E and Jammz over a few grime instrumentals to conclude the perfect night of emotion and energy for the crowd.

Tommy Genesis performs at the Red Bull Music Academy UK Tour at 24 Kitchen Street in Liverpool, United Kingdom on October 9th, 2016 // James North/Red Bull Content Pool // P-20161010-00879 // Usage for editorial use only // Please go to www.redbullcontentpool.com for further information. // Photo credit: TANDEM PR.

Tommy Genesis performs at the Red Bull Music Academy UK Tour at 24 Kitchen Street in Liverpool, United Kingdom on October 9th, 2016 // James North/Red Bull Content Pool // P-20161010-00879 // Usage for editorial use only // Please go to www.redbullcontentpool.com for further information. //

Photography credit: TANDEM PR.

Kuda Mushangi