Gorgon City @ O2 Academy Liverpool 14/10/2016

After failing to catch Gorgon City at any festivals, when asked if anyone wanted to review the duo, I don’t think I could’ve raised my hand any quicker. The gig was at the O2 academy, a venue which I hadn’t yet visited, and on first appearance I thought this was the ideal venue to host a house gig. It was small, but you still had enough room to have a good old dance, which is essentially what you go to a house gig for.

Following a really good warm up from Elderbrook, who features on Gorgon City’s latest track ‘Smile’, the opening sequence definitely got my attention with strobe lights accompanying the electric performance. Their earlier tracks of ‘Real’ and ‘Unmissable’ were particular crowd pleasers. For me, the track ‘Zoom Zoom’ stood out. Mixing house music with a carnival flavour, I thought this brought a really cool contrast to the first few opening tracks.

After playing one of the songs of summer 2016, ‘All Four Walls’, things became more mellow with the lyrical track ‘Doubts’. More laid back, this had the crowd effortlessly bobbing up and down, but still had a really great chorus and hook. The tempo was then suddenly lifted as the duo announced they were going to play Jess Glynne’s single ‘Right Here’ which they produced, something I didn’t know. Entertainment and education, what more could you want?

One of the real highlights of the whole show was their cover of Drake’s insanely catchy ‘One Dance’. Thinking my ears were saturated from hearing this song for what feels like a lifetime, Gorgon City (along with Lulu James and Josh Barry providing the vocals) managed to recreate, if not better, their Radio 1 Live Lounge performance from earlier in the year. Making me still want to listen to that song. Again a performance with a big carnival influence which had everyone in the venue bouncing and dancing.

The final stage of the gig consisted of popular tracks including ‘Here For You’ and the more electronic sounding ‘Money’, which really had people showcasing their best Friday-night dance moves. The grime influenced ‘Impaired Vision’ provided another element to the show, before leading onto the final song of the set, ‘Ready For Your Love’. Probably Gorgon City’s most recognisable and well known track, they could not disappoint. After seeing MNEK perform the song live this summer I had high expectations, especially as this was one of my highlights of the summer festival season. Disappoint they did not however, and they really did end the show on a high. It wasn’t quite the same without MNEK, but that’s just due to my love for his vocals. The huge anthem ‘Go All Night’ provided the encore, with original vocals coming from Jennifer Hudson, but Lulu James definitely did it justice!

I really wanted the production to sound as good as the tracks do, and it definitely did. Kye and Matt are really talented producers both in record making and live performances. Gorgon City are one of those acts that people may not know the name of, but they definitely know their work. I would highly recommend going to see them live if you want to have a really good time dancing, and listening to some great house music. I will hands down be seeing them at a festival next summer, and I can only imagine they’ll be just as good, if not better, at an outside venue with the speakers turned up to full volume.

Photo Credit: http://www.gorgoncity.com/
Naomi Gillies