Kano @ O2 Ritz, Manchester, United Kingdom (13/10/16)

Kano is undoubtedly one of the most important and influential artists when it comes to grime. The East Ham, London representing rapper played an integral part of the ‘golden era’ of the popular genre, being part of the East London based crew ‘N.A.S.T.Y’. His ground-breaking album ‘Home Sweet Home’ is highly accredited amongst the UK music scene, including hits such as ‘P’s and Q’s’ and ‘Signs in Life’ which not only represented the lifestyle which he used to live, but also a lifestyle shared by many, particularly those who grew up in London.

The rapper performed at the 02 Ritz in Manchester in a sold out venue, following the release of his successful and long-awaited album ‘Made in the Manor’. It was clear that this release was a personal reflection of how the artist’s life has changed and developed over the years, with a range of tracks, the performance certainly brought out a range of emotions amongst those who attended.

From his debut album ‘Home Sweet Home’ to his latest album ‘Made in the Manor’, Kano has always been a unique artist. With a live band completed with two-stepping brass instrumentalists on stage, the performance successfully combined the mellowness of jazz from the instruments to the energy of a grime performance. Kano is one of the few artists who could hold such an event, which would succeed to the degree it did.

Songs such as ‘3 Wheel-Ups’ from his latest album injected an energy back in to the crowd at the end, finishing the night on a high and solidifying Kano as one of the best performers in the grime scene. Kano is well known for his energetic performances, rhythmic skill and lyrical talent, which has always differentiated him from other grime artists. The performance was guaranteed to be a roller-coaster of emotions and gave the crowd a glimpse of how Kano’s life has changed a decade after his debut album. Performing a range of songs from his latest release to his EP singles, the night was unquestionably memorable.

Photo credit: Kuda Mushangi

Kuda Mushangi