Yak, Goat Girl and Peaness @ O2 Academy, Liverpool (26/10/16)

When I found out Yak were coming to Liverpool it’s safe to say that my excitement was an understatement. I had first heard of the London-based trio at the end of last year after catching the end of their set when supporting Peace @ Manchester Academy and since then I’ve been addicted to their music.

Following on from the opening support by dreamy Chester-based girl band Peaness and Goat Girl, the atmosphere of the small O2 Academy started to build. Yak themselves began to sound check their own instruments with the familiar guitar riffs of their songs only adding to the hyped-up atmosphere. Heavy build up music in the form of synths soon took over as Yak left the stage, causing the crowd to scream with anticipation every time it stopped. The warm-up in itself gave the audience a glimpse of the fantastic performance which was to come. As the band finally entered to perform, they welcomed by loud cheers all before they jumped into Harbour the Feeling, one of their many impressive songs from their recently released debut album, Alas Salvation. With a set-up typical of an alternative rock band including a large number of speakers, you could feel the music vibrations under your feet.

Yak are a band where it is impossible to watch whilst standing still and this was certainly a mutual feeling within the crowd, which could be seen through the centre of the floor constantly being an ever-growing mosh pit which rarely stopped, causing the act of being flung from one side of the room to the other to become a fun and regular occurrence.

There was never a dull moment with Yak on stage, whether it was the impromptu sax solo from the onstage saxophonist or frontman Oli Burslem hanging from the metal beams which held up the lighting and stage diving into the sea of people with his guitar.

Photo credit: http://nbhap.com/blog/yak-saves-independent-rock-new-video-victorious-national-anthem/ (Photo by Jibber)

Jess Fleming