Teleman @ Leaf (22/10/16)

Teleman are a contemporary indie band from London who merge the genres of indie, pop and electronica beautifully into an intelligent and unique sound. They are currently touring with the release of their new album “Brilliant Sanity”. I’ve wanted to see them live for a while and their show did not disappoint. Leaf on Bold Street was the perfect venue for their sold out show; an intimate, trendy venue, with disco balls and coloured fairy lights setting an atmospheric vibe for the gig.

Support was from Nilufer Yanya, a female solo artist from London with a beautiful voice that was accompanied by a soft electric guitar. She suited the venue well and her minimal guitar riffs and echoing vocals encapsulated the audience, myself included. After the show I added all of her songs to my Spotify playlist, “Keep on Calling” is a personal favourite. With a similar sound to James Blake but also sounding like a female version of King Krule. This was Nilufer’s debut show in Liverpool as she was touring with Teleman to co-inside with the release of her new EP, The Small Crimes.

Teleman opened with a lot of synth and bass, Django Django immediately came to mind, and Thomas Sanders’ indie vocals were a sharp clash to the heavy synth opener. It worked though, demonstrating the contemporary sound of a 2016 indie band; imagine Peace but with synths. Sanders and bass player, Pete Cattermoul, were confidently cheeky with the crowd and after their opening song Sanders established, “they had been looking forward to this one” (referring to playing in Liverpool). What followed was an hour and a half of indie pop tunes mixed with synth and bass instrumentals, which at times was like a really electronic sound with similar bass riffs to New Order. Their live show was very different to their recorded sound, and sometimes it was hard to distinguish between songs because the lyrics and the tunes were very similar. Particularly if like me, you had heard little of their music previously. Nevertheless, the crowd was full of devoted fans so this didn’t affect them, everyone was singing along, knowing the songs word for word and on their final song, one of their biggest hits “Dusseldorf”, everyone went crazy and there was a stage invasion at the end. “Fall in Time” was my favourite song and overall it was a great gig, the synth and bass made it a really interesting mix of indie and electronica. Teleman have a unique sound and definitely a band worth listening to and going to see live.

Picture credit: Teleman Facebook Page.

Sophie Carter

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17