Super Hans @ 24 Kitchen Street 08/11/16

Image credit: http://www.factmag.com/2016/08/17/peep-show-super-hans-london-dj-set-2016-tickets/

Super Hans, the character played by Matt King in Peep Show, was one of the best gigs I have been to at Kitchen Street. Though the gig was postponed two weeks from the original date, due to Super Hans “falling into a K hole”, he did not disappoint. The grungy setting of Kitchen Street (not forgetting the famous disco ball) was ideal for the manic mix of indie classics and heavy techno. It was a bizarre but brilliant DJ set from Hans.

Support was from No Fakin’ DJs who hyped up the crowd by playing instrumental funk/hip hop tunes, mixing in Intergalactic by Beastie Boys at the end for Super Hans to takeover. The crowd were obvious Peep Show fans and they were hectic. Hans enhanced the madness by teasing and charming the crowd with brilliant one liners such as “the world could end tonight, so let’s have a fucking party.” Hans opened with Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck) by Run the Jewels, which he then mixed into a techno drop; it was a unique sound mimicking Hans’s brilliant madness. Hans was accompanied by The Hombre on tambourine and fellow DJ Psycho Pab. Their aesthetic was ponchos and Puma and Hans wore a fur coat, shades and a Red Stripe tinny in hand; a grungy gig at its best.

For the next hour and a half Hans played classics such as Bowie’s Let’s Dance, New Order’s Blue Monday and The Beatles’ Get Back, all of these mixed into Techno, Gabba drops. The crowd loved it a bit too much, with Hans telling everyone to “chill out” half way through. There were five minutes of musical brilliance when Hans played Fools Gold by The Stone Roses on guitar while smoking a spliff to calm down the crowd before dropping into a heavy Gabba mix of Jamie xx’s Gosh. Mad but brilliant and it worked so well.

After this it was Tekno (heavy Techno) and Gabba drops until the end. My favourite moment was when Hans played The Prodigy’s Fire Starter changing “I am a fire starter” to “I am Super Hans” and shouting it frantically at the crowd. This gig ended in the only way it possibly could have… A stage invasion by the whole crowd which started when Hans had to pull a trapped girl from the crowd onto the stage. It was hectic and caused Hans, the Hombre and Psycho Pab to bail the stage, ending the gig early. The crowd didn’t seem to mind as it was a suitable end to a beautifully mad gig at one of Liverpool’s best music venues.

Sophie Carter