New & Noteworthy
New & Noteworthy

BEST OF THIS WEEK’S BUNCH: 21st – 27th November Gig Guide

Frank Turner @ Liverpool Guild of Students 21.11.16

This Monday Frank Turner makes his return to Liverpool after his mind-blowing headline set at Liverpool’s X&Y Festival last year. Now performing at our very own Guild of Students in Mountford Hall due to the high demand for tickets which exceeded that of Liverpool Academy’s capacity.

Photo Credit: The Telegraph

Photo Credit: The Telegraph

The dedicated musician who has now played well over 1000 shows including 10 consecutive years at Reading and Leeds is not to be missed, so if you are in need of a night with everyone’s favourite folk punk rocker there are few tickets still available. With support from Esme Patterson and Felix Hagan & Family it is bound to be a feel good night of moshing, dancing and singing at the tops of your lungs.

Words: Jess Fleming 

Sampha @ Manchester Academy 2 23.11.16

Soulful singer Sampha will be performing at Manchester Academy – a night which is guaranteed to be unforgettable. Having featured on a number of hugely popular albums such as Solange’s A Seat at the Table and Frank Ocean’s Boys Don’t Cry, Sampha has now decided to tour and showcase his talent through his own individual work and performances.

Photo Credit: Respect Mag

Photo Credit: Respect Mag

For those who are familiar with electronic music, his name may also sound familiar, as he has collaborated with the likes of SBTRKT in the past, which ultimately established him as one of the most exciting musicians. Kelsey Lu will also be supporting, setting the tone for the rest of the night. The evening is certain to be a showcase of underground talent, destined to be an intriguing and exciting experience nonetheless.

Tickets still available online via Manchester Academy

Words: Kuda Mushangi 

By The Rivers @ Arts Club 24.11.16 

Is the gloomy winter weather rubbing off on your mood? I prescribe a dose of music from warmer climes. Unfortunately, By The Rivers are actually from Leicester but their brand of ‘Brit reggae’ certainly feels like it’s been imported from the sunny beaches of the Caribbean. Having garnered the attention of reggae pioneer David Rodigan, the six-piece band have secured slots at a variety of UK festivals, including Boomtown, Bestival and Glastonbury, where their performance of Run Home was aired nationwide by the BBC.

Photo Credit: By The Rivers

Photo Credit: By The Rivers

Coinciding with the release of their What You See EP, the band bring their “sunny melodies and blue sky attitude” to The Arts Club this Thursday. So I propose you brush those hailstones off your shoulders and let By The Rivers warm your toes back up.

Tickets available through Ticketweb

Words: Chris Cannell

Beans on Toast @ Constellations 25.11.16 

This coming Friday at Constellations, the Observatory in Liverpool, singer/songwriter Beans on Toast will be here for one folk-filled night. Known for his down-to-earth lyrics and raw talent, Beans on Toast has a niche for channelling his inner angst with current politics: Glastonbury to the everyday topics he covers like takeaway chicken.

Photo Credit: Too Many Blogs

Photo Credit: Too Many Blogs

For an evening of upbeat, raspy and raw vocals from the bearded Essex-lad Beans on Toast, then Constellations will provide all, with a forecast of giggles and chatter from a beer-induced crowd. Authenticity is key this Friday.

Words: Molly Moe  

Nightmares On Wax (DJ Set), Tall Black Guy plus guests @ 24 Kitchen Street 26.11.16

Expect a party at 24 Kitchen Street this Saturday night, as Nightmares On Wax returns once again to take to the decks. Making his third appearance to the Baltic Triangle venue, the pioneering Warp Records veteran – known as George Evelyn by day – will be spinning records fresh from the release of his upcoming EP Ground Floor, which has been promised to be a homage to the Leeds producer’s “late night house” and “soul funk all-dayer” roots.

Photo Credit: BamBamBam

Photo Credit: BamBamBam

With support coming from the innovative Detroit beatmaker Tall Black Guy (who has been championed by the likes of Gilles Peterson and The Roots’ Questlove), proceedings are likely to be as eclectic as ever, with hip-hop, soul, electronica and trip-hop all meeting in the middle as Evelyn shows off what he does best.

Words: Reuben Smith Burrell 

White Lies @ Liverpool O2 Academy 26.11.16 

With the music video for Morning in LA released less than a week ago, it’s an exciting time to catch White Lies live.

Photo Credit: Spotify

Photo Credit: Spotify

Following a much anticipated return they’re bringing their dark, indie Rock sound to the O2 Academy this Saturday. A venue change from Arts Club due to high demand, the lads are wanted in Liverpool. With a fair 3 year wait for more material from the cult band, the release of their new album Friends on the 7th October certainly provokes even more intrigue for their live performance in Liverpool.

The Ealing band will be showcasing their new material along with a selection of classics. So this sold out gig promises to bring big sounds to a very excitable crowd, that I for one cannot wait for.

Words: Megan Green

Slaves @ Manchester Albert Hall 26/27.11.16

Infamous for causing quite literally, riots in their gigs and festival appearances, Slaves are set to put on two SOLD OUT insane gigs at Manchester’s Albert Hall this Saturday and Sunday. Slaves have had quite the year, releasing more music, upping their wild performances at festivals all this summer and building up their credulous and bold music in the ears of more and more angsty-rock fans.

Photo Credit: DIY

Photo Credit: DIY

There is no doubt at all that the two Kentish lads will be throwing their blood, sweat and screams into their coming Sunday gig. Known for insane amounts of energy from front-man Isaac who tends to drum and sing shirtless as Laurie rips up the accompanying guitar. Slaves fans are known for creating boisterous mosh-pits to reflect the hooliganism that the Slaves lads represent in the face of a opposite, softened indie-pop world. NOT TO BE MISSED.

Words: Molly Moe

Primal Scream @ Liverpool Olympia 27.11.16

Sunday evenings don’t tend to be the go-to for an excitable, uncontrollable and wild evening in Liverpool, however this Sunday 27th November promises something different to the norm. Primal Scream are gifting the Olympia’s stage with a night of psychedelic sounds and beats that are sure to get the city bouncing.

Photo Credit: The Ransom Note

Photo Credit: The Ransom Note

Bobby Gillespie certainly does not do live performances by halves, so expect flamboyant clothing, rather manic dancing and insane vocals. From Screamadelica to Chaoesmosis, the night promises an array of songs from both iconic albums and all in-between, that will please both old and new fans. And with the added bonus of Bo Ningen as special guest, who wouldn’t want to be attending this gig?

So if you’ve managed to grab a ticket, be prepared for sheer craziness and uncontrollable dancing that your body just simply won’t be able to resist.

Words: Megan Green 

Featured Image Photo Credit: GlasgowLive

Helen Rabbitt