BBC Introducing Dave Monks Presents: BLACK PULP @ The Cavern Club (30/11/16)

BBC Introducing Merseyside has brought us the sounds of The Vryll Society, Clean Cut Kid in the past and the now big boys on the block, Circa Waves. Well thanks to Dave Monk, the musical guru in discovering the county’s next big thing brought us the creme de la creme of fresh talent. 

Tonight was the night The Cavern Club gained a new favourite four piece, rip down the Sgt. Pepper memorabilia and hand over the Ringo drumsticks because there’s a new beat upon Mathew Street with Black Pulp. Groovy guitar riffs and smooth talking lyrics give these fellas the edge…not quite U2’s iconic guitarist but fresh authenticity quenching those musical tastebuds.   

Photo Credit: Georgia Flynn

Having already worked their way around many of Liverpool’s adored venues such as Kitchen Street, Zanzibar and The Magnet, the lads; Bayliss, Holt, Smith and Williams have certainly began to build up a worthy following. They are definitely ones to watch out for in the near future.

Before jumping into debut single; Vapour and also the first song of the night, lead vocalist Jack Smith took a moment to introduce the band with their trademark phrase “we are Black Pulp – YOU are the crowd”- as seen on their Facebook and Twitter bios. The funky and catchy Vapour  was only the start to a night of addictive and impressive music.

Photo Credit: Georgia Flynn

The four piece may only have three songs stamped around the web but in no way did that stop them from showing off the large collection of unheard material that is already tucked away for the near future.

Along with Surfin’, an original demo on soundcloud which Smith described as “100% about surfing”…wash that mind out with soap and water please! The band also premiered a track they described as “not a throwaway pop song” saying it was in fact sad and meaningful despite its upbeat tune. Versatility is key.

Photo Credit: Lucie Rose

The crowd took in each track with eagerness and euphoria, showing that you don’t need to know the lyrics or even have heard the song before to have a corker of a time. Every song Black Pulp presented was completely different from the next, highlighting their versatility yet still their distinct style shone through continuously. Tracks varied from being full of intricate and growing guitar solos that would build into a crescendo- much like that of Foal’s Two Steps Twice, to the indie pop tunes which hold vibes of Viola Beach and The 1975.

Photo Credit: Georgia Flynn

Photo Credit: Georgia Flynn

Like true Liverpool students the band didn’t forget their roots, paying homage to “the people of Smithdown” before one track, sending the crowd into roaring cheers and screams. From beginning to end of their set Black Pulp never failed to impress. For me this band are made to make it big time, their guitar heavy tracks will be stuck in your head for hours as you sing along to their impressive lyrics- ‘She found her smile in the bottom of a wine glass’ and ‘what you drinking, she said misery and coke’.

I’m eager to find out what is next for this band and if I could leave you with any advice it would be to check out Black Pulp ASAP because boy oh boy have you hit the jackpot with these fellas!

Photo Credit: Lucie Rose

Photo Credit: Lucie Rose

Featured Photo Credit: Georgia Flynn Creative

Jess Fleming

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17