Primal Scream @ The Olympia (27/11/16)

On what appears to be a run-down theatre from the outside, The Olympia hides its majestic nature within, providing the perfect venue to house bands of credible reputations. Whilst a band as crazy and wild as Primal Scream vividly clashed with the vintage, traditional building, something about this combination just seemed to work perfectly. Within moments of Primal Scream walking onto the stage, this aged building was certainly given a fresh burst of life.

There was certainly no hanging about waiting for the band to kick off the night. As Bobby Gillespie strides to the microphone placed centre stage, with a leopard print shirt complimenting his black suit it was clear this night was going to be memorable. The ever so familiar guitar intro to Moving on Up was churned out, and the room was lifted. Lights in blue, green, and red flashed alternatively, mirroring the upbeat tempo and indicating the madness that was to come.

Following this was the captivating rendition of Where The Light Gets In, supporting the case that the new record, Chaosmosis, is equally as excitable live as Primal Scream’s older classics. Jailbird, followed by Accelerator, further fuelled the buzz in the room, with Gillespie skipping from either side of the stage empowering the audience and encouraging the crowd to enter into a manic, free state.

(Feeling Like A) Demon Again explores self-reflection, and contained darker, more thought provoking lyrics than other Primal Scream songs. With this the crowd was sent into a dancing trance like state, as the band continued to stimulate the room throughout the performance of the song. This excitable atmosphere transferred into the songs that followed, with swaying and clapping complimenting Gillespie’s dance moves.

Midway through the set there was a euphoric return to Screamadelica with the band playing their classic – Higher Than The Sun. The audience were sent into an uncontrollable dancing daze, with individuals of all ages embracing the diversity of this set list. This gig certainly gave an excuse for people of a certain age to return to the 90s and party, and this celebration is what kept the atmosphere so positive.

Following the performance of two more new tracks Trippin’ on Your Love and 100% or Nothing, the room went manic in response to the siren like sounds of Swastika Eyes. However, nothing was to prepare the band for the reaction they received for their performance of Loaded. The room went crazy, every single person was dancing, clapping and jumping, and it felt as though we were in a festival rather than an ageing, rustic venue in Liverpool. This sheer delight from the crowd continued into Rocks, with the night hitting its peak. The exhilarating performance was tied to an end with a stunning performance of Come Together, with Gillespie promoting love, and support for the crowd. The ending left the room positive and, obviously, craving more.

The expected encore lit the room on fire once more, with a performance of Kill All Hippies. Following this, Gillespie gracefully thanked the crowd for being so welcoming and loyal to the band and their success, before discussing his respect for The Olympia as a venue. His strong Glaswegian accent made his words rather difficult to understand thoroughly, but I managed to catch his most important message: the instruction for the room to go wild once more. He even encouraged the “ghosts and spirits” to dance as the band once again plummeted into craziness and performed their very last song, Country Girl.

This gig was like nothing I’d ever experienced before. The night was simply electrifying, with the band diving from old to new, and keeping their sound fresh and eccentric. Primal Scream certainly know how to put on a show, successfully sending mine, and the rest of their loyal fans’, love shining on.

Photo Credit: Megan Green

Megan Green

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17