The Daydio Show
The Daydio Show

Hot Plate w/ Flava D and Logan Sama @ 24 Kitchen Street (8/12/2016)

Flava D at 24 Kitchen Street. A night which carried high expectations. It didn’t disappoint.

There is nothing worse than paying good money for an event and when the DJ drops your favourite tune you can’t bust all those moves you’ve been practising in your bedroom mirror. However, Kitchen Street didn’t fall foul of this, like so many other venues do. Hot Plate kept its reputation for not over-selling tickets, so big up yourselves.

A friend I bumped into in the smoking area made a point of noting that Hot Plate, along with Kitchen Street, are some of the only people in Liverpool bringing the bass-house scene to the people who want to experience their ears popping. The atmosphere was indeed popping, yet managed to remain relaxed, with all the staff maintaining the friendly attitude expected.

The warm-up act, Suede Brown, was actually surprisingly good and fitted well with the likes of Logan Sama and Flava D. He mixed up the genres in an appropriate manner, although making sure not to transition too harshly between them. The crowd seemed to enjoy the Liverpool cultivated grime and I was raring for the main acts of the night.

The room itself was dowsed in projections, almost reminiscent of the famous ‘That’s Not Me’ video, self-produced by Skepta. This seemed fitting for one of the grime scene’s best known Dj’s; Logan Sama. Having listened to and enjoyed his boiler room set I was looking forward to seeing him live. At the start of his set he did something Djs rarely do: he made use of the microphone and requested energy and noise from the ravers. Even though he didn’t think this would be an issue with a Scouse audience. Sama played a couple of his own dubplates, notably his dubplate of Funny by Chase and Status Ft. Frisco, also dropping heavy hitters such as Topper Top by Sir Spyro. Logan Sama played a great set, and laid the way for the person who everyone came for…

Flava D. After playing for Boiler Room the night before in Leeds (which she smashed), Flava D continued her tour of the north by stopping off at Kitchen Street. Her mixing ability is second to none, proving herself as one of the top DJs in the bass house genre. She was also wearing a black Supreme hat like the warm-up act, what a fashion conscious coincidence. As always Flava D’s tunes had the crowd busting some mad shapes, not without the addition of some questionable decisions. Like the fool on stage who felt the need to document the whole of Flava D’s set for his Snapchat followers to see, nice one mate. But yeah, aside from that Flava D smashed the selection, with up and comers such as Soul Shake by My Nu Leng. In my opinion, the set was up there with the best to have graced Kitchen Street this year. Flava D smashed it.

Photo Credit: 24 Kitchen Street Facebook Page

George Griffin