You Me At Six – Night People

3 years ago Josh Franceschi, Matt Barnes, Chris Miller, Max Helyer and Dan Flint released their fourth studio album, Cavalier Youth before taking a break from the roaring rock world of You Me At Six. Thankfully the Surrey lads are back with the new adrenaline fuelled, heart pounding and exquisitely executed Night People. The fifth album exemplifies how much this band have grown since the early Take Off Your Colours days. Franceschi’s gravelly, youth vocals have developed into a husky storytelling dream, instrumentals have binded together to produce a polished sound that melts into the eardrums and the overall band have matured into icons of the pop-punk industry.

Night People was recorded in Nashville’s renowned Black Bird Studios, where the likes of the queen of Nashville; Dolly Parton, Jack White, Kings of Leon and Snoop Dogg have walked upon the country wooden floorboards…yepp the Dogg himself. Not only was it recorded in the space where masterpieces were born but it was produced by Jacquire King and mixed by Andrew Scheps, who in the past have graced us with the gifts of the godly Red Hot Chili Peppers, recently adored James Bay and the iconic Black Sabbath. Name dropping galore well and truly sorted, it is undoubted that Night People is bound to be an absolute corker from You Me At Six.

Photo Credit: Kerrang

Photo Credit: Kerrang

The title track commences the album and throws us rock heavy into what we originally fell in love with from this five piece. The energy and fury from Night People tears through the sound barriers and screams in the faces of the innocent, those who call themselves morning folk. The guitar riffs and heavy vocals don’t stop there as Plus One demonstrates a fiery attitude that we’ve certainly been missing from these fellas in the past 3 years. The teen angst lyrics have certainly dissolved into the bitter youth of Franceschi as Take On The World proves. A heartbeat bass combined with poetic harmonies of love create this album’s uplifting power ballad. Now is the time for those veteran Sixers to shed a little tear of pride…

As the band embark on their extensive UK tour early this year, it is with no question that this album will open mosh pits wide enough to throw stewards into an absolute health and safety hysteria. Predictable by the likes of the heart pounding Swear and the electric Make Your Move, instrumentals that echo the distinct Rage Against the Machine bridges and vocals that are hypnotically explosive. The drum sound of the album is most definitely Can’t Hold Back, Flint is the ignition for this flame that burns into the instrumental glory. The smoke carries across to Spell It Out where the spine tingling chords strike from guitar, praising the influences of rock. There’s no smoke without fire.

The conclusive anthem of Night People comes in the form of Give and giving us the answer to what we’ve been searching for all this time.

Is there any easier way than saying this album from hooks to bridges, from snare to bass, from roars to harmonies are all just simply on point? I think not. Night People is easily going to swoop chart success so run out into the night, grab your copy and place You Me At Six back onto the podium of rock goodness.

Night People is now available to stream, digitally purchase and physical copies available from You Me At Six Official Store 

UK April Tour Dates and tickets available from You Me At Six including Manchester Academy and Blackburn dates.

Helen Rabbitt

More Album Reviews

ALBUM REVIEW: Sampha – Process
Lower Than Atlantis – Safe in Sound
Amber Run – For A Moment, I Was Lost
You Me At Six – Night People
ALBUM REVIEW: Metallica – Hardwired to Self-Destruct