BEST OF THIS WEEK’S BUNCH: 6th – 12th February 2017

Vaults @ Manchester Deaf Institute 6.2.17

On Monday, London based electronic band, Vaults including members, Blythe Pepino, Barry Freeman and Ben Vella head to Manchester’s Deaf Institute to perform a sell out headline set. Their cover of Randy Crawford’s One Day I’ll Fly Away recently featured in the John Lewis Christmas Advert which shot them to mainstream fame like previous the artists of previous years.

Photo Credit: Evening Standard

The band released their debut album Caught in Still Life in December 2016, and are embarking on their UK Tour playing in various locations including Glasgow, Bristol, London and Manchester.

The album and accompanying tour has been highly anticipated after the release of songs such as Cry No More, Lifespan and Vultures. The trio have supported the likes of Paulo Nutini and London Grammar in the past and were featured on the original Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack.

It’s easy to see why there is such a buzz around Vaults and why their Manchester show sold out, the gig is set to be a good one and is not to be missed by electropop fans.

Words: Grace Dutch 

Hidden Charms @ The Magnet 8.2.17 

This fun, rock four-piece from London have drummed up a following, with over 70,000 listeners on Spotify, after the release of their record, Harder from Here in October 2016. A sound reminiscent of The Arcs and NME favourites, Cabbage. Their exciting mixture of dense alt-rock with giddy punk undertones is encapsulated by single I Just Wanna Be Left Alone.

Liverpool’s crowd will be seduced by this band’s palpable and gritty alternative-rock sound. So be sure to catch Hidden Charm’s appearance at Liverpool’s renowned venue, The Magnet on Wednesday, as part of their two-week UK tour, supported by The Bat Rays.

Photo Credit: KoKo

Tickets are still available online via See Tickets

Words: Molly Moe

Weekend Wars @ Maguire’s 9.2.17 

Merseyside’s newly favourite indie five piece, Weekend Wars hit the city’s adored pizza bar on Thursday night to showcase the release of upcoming single Swim. The band have continued support from the local BBC Introducing and have gained quite an impressive following from their previous singles being released through the monthly (and not to mention fantastic) Flying Vinyl subscription service.

Support on the night comes from Manchester’s Rivet City and Liverpool’s alternative Patchwork Guilt.

Photo Credit: Sam Rowlands Photography

Howie Payne @ Buyers Club 9.2.17

This Thursday, Liverpool’s own Howie Payne (formerly Howard Elliot Payne) will conclude his exciting 3-day tour at the Buyers Club.

Howie is a singer-songwriter, best known as a member of The Strands and by his previous solo career, as well as an ex-member of various other bands. His music can now be described as folk and alternative, featuring just his voice and a guitar as accompany.

He has now returned following the release of 10 new demos- featured on High Times, Home Recordings. The long-awaited follow up album to his debut Bright Light Ballads is also set to be released this year, so this gig is a fantastic chance to get a glimpse of where Payne’s music is heading.

Photo Credit: Howie Payne Music

Tickets still available online via Skiddle

Words: Tom Curtis 

Worried about Henry Presents: DJ HYPE @ 24 Kitchen Street 10.2.17

DJ Hype, one of the world’s best Drum and Bass DJ’s is coming to 24 Kitchen Street. Hype is a pioneer of the D‘n’B and Junglist movement with a career spanning over 30 years, including a residency at London’s iconic club, Fabric, and founder of Playaz Records; this is definitely a night not to be missed.

The event is presented by the Worried about Henry crew at Liverpool’s renowned and adored Kitchen Street. Hype is playing alongside Manchester’s Nuusic, Stature and K3LT. Hosted by MC FLUX, anticipate a night of textbook Junglist and Drum‘n’bass tunes. From Hype’s 90 minute set expect tunes such as Hands Up and Dubplate Killa in a first class Drum‘n’bass set from one of the best DJ’s in the genre.

Tickets are available online via Skiddle and via Facebook 

Photo Credit: Worried About Henry Official Event Page

Words: Sophie Carter 

CABBAGE @ EBGBS 10.2.17 

Fresh off the back of appearing on the BBC Sound of 2017 longlist, Mossley five-piece CABBAGE bring their post-punk politics to Liverpool’s EBGBS this Friday. They’re raw and raucous, and are set to ignite Heebie’s basement with their energetic and attitude-driven sound.

Having recently thrown us a new EP in the form of Young, Dumb, and Full of… Cabbage are an exciting band swiftly on the rise.

With support from the Shimmer Band and April, this show, and the rest of the tour in fact, is sold out for a reason.

Photo Credit: VICE

Words: Cecily Sheppard 

The Sherlocks @ O2 Academy 11.2.17 

With the 2017 release of The Sherlocks’ latest single Was It Really Worth It?, the people of the North West are itching to hear what more the band have to offer. The upcoming indie/rock lads from Sheffield, are set to grace Liverpool’s O2 Academy this Saturday.

Consisting of two sets of brothers, Kiaran and Brandon, Josh and Andy, the band have produced music in my opinion similar to that of modern indie legends, The Courteeners. Their music has always been right up my street and material has continued to maintain interest across the indie scene over the space of the last year.
The Liverpool show being one of the first stops on their UK tour, is now sold out and it is set to be a top night with support from Bolton’s Jordan Allen.

Photo Credit: Leadmill

Words: Liv Mannix

Sundara Karma w/ Blaenavon @ O2 Academy 12.2.17 

Less than two weeks between supporting the triumphant Two Door Cinema Club, Sundara Karma are back with their own headline show. January blues were non existent for this Reading four piece as they released their debut album, Youth is Only Ever Fun in Retrospect. The album has had huge critical success in the space of the past month and their UK tour is pretty much a sell out. It is completely understandable considering the hard work and creativity this band have exemplified in the last 12 months.

Support on the night comes from Hampshire’s youthful indie trio, Blaenavon. These are most certainly a band to keep an eye on in 2017, as it is without a doubt that they will ease into the same worthy fame of their headliners on the night. For fans of Wild Beast and Wu Lyf, it is important you get down to the academy early on Sunday night to catch these fellas before the release of their highly anticipated album That’s Your Lot in April.

Blaenavon // Photo Credit: Neil Bedford

Featured Photo Credit: Emma Viola

Helen Rabbitt