CUPIDS (supporting The Amazons) @ Buyers Club (6/3/17)

Supporting The Amazons as part of their UK tour is no easy task, but Cupids really did themselves justice in doing so. The 4-piece from Oldham kicked off their set with a strong, punchy start, really defining their sound as a band. You could instantly tell that they had been influenced by fellow Mancunians, Oasis, with catchy riffs and clever lyrics that really grabbed your attention, making you eager to hear more.

Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

Kickin’ In was a real highlight for me. Featuring the essence of sounds from classic bands such as The Rolling Stones, and The Kinks, with similarities to the famous hook of You Really Got Me, this track immediately stood out as one of their best.  The track was anthem-like, and really would’ve suited a bigger venue. This is clearly just a sign of the big things ahead for this band.  Their stage presence and their ability to capture the audience was admirable, something which is quite difficult for new bands to do. These guys really have honed in on their trade.

Cupids’ musicianship is envious, and it is really refreshing to see a band with such a clear focus on what music they want to make, and doing it well. You can clearly see what direction they are heading in and I am very excited to hear what future records they have in store. The good thing about playing in such an intimate venue such as Buyers Club, is that you really get to hear the individual vocals of the members as well as their harmonies, which can sometimes get masked or lost when playing larger venues. It is rare to find a band who are such good musicians, but also have such tight harmonies. Sound is obviously a key importance to Cupids, and you can tell that they have worked hard in trying to make this unique to them.

Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

Their lyrics range from the honest and truthful, to fun and quirky, for example, in new single Good Things (Come to Those Who Wait),  a stand out lyric being “little Bo Peep starts herding cows” – something making this band loveable and their own. They can see when to not take themselves too seriously which makes them even more enjoyable to watch. This single was the perfect mix of a catchy chorus, but with a bit of an edge, and memorable riffs.

Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

The one piece of advice I have for Cupids, is to keep doing what they are doing, and making it even bigger and better. Their presence while performing, as I have said, is undeniable, but I get a sense that in between tracks, these guys really don’t know just how good they are. I feel that this will definitely come in time, as let’s remember, these guys only became Cupids (formerly The Gramotones) in 2015. With already having a well-established sound, the potential that this band have is immeasurable. Cupids have definitely won my heart, and such a bright future lies ahead of them. I am definitely making sure I’m going to be with them all the way.

The new single Good Things (Come To Those Who Wait) is released on the 31st March for digital purchase and available to stream on all services.

You can catch Cupids on their headline tour, starting from the end of March in London & Manchester date in April. Tickets available to purchase online via Skiddle & DICE 

Photo Credits: Ellen McGoran

Naomi Gillies