New & Noteworthy
New & Noteworthy

The Amazons @ Buyers Club (6/3/17)

The Amazons graced the stage at Buyers Club as part of their impressive 18 dates touring the UK. The upcoming band have already had an impressive start to 2017, including making the longlist for the BBC Music Sound of 2017, and their single, Little Something, making it as Annie Mac’s Hottest Record.

The 4 piece from Reading made their name through the BBC Music Introducing scene; earning a coveted spot on the same stage at Reading and Leeds Festival in 2015. After hearing them being championed by Radio 1 DJs such as Huw Stephens and Dev, I knew that if I had the opportunity to do so, I had to check this band out live.

Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

They started off with the powerful track Stay With Me – a real crowd pleaser and you could instantly tell who their veteran fans were as soon as they started playing; singing along to every word to their heart’s content. By the end of the track, everyone was singing along to the catchy chorus.

The rock and roll band have absolutely nailed their genre of music. Producing anthem-like tracks one after another. There was no point in the night in which there was a dip in energy. Their stage presence as well, was captivating. Lead vocalist Matt Thomson, was the epitome of a frontman, complete with jeering towards the crowd and plenty of headbanging his long, fiery locks.

Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

The memorable guitar riffs in the track Black Magic had everyone head bobbing and punching the air during the chorus, and was a real highlight of the night. As well as playing their older material, they also debuted music from their upcoming album, set for release on Friday 2nd June. They previewed the new track Raindrops from said album, which was more of a truthful rock ballad compared with their previous songs already played in the set.

The night was filled with tracks that were played directly to the audience, with impressive vocals and musicianship. The confidence of the band in their music and style is undeniable, and it really made you, as the crowd, feel at ease knowing that you were in for a great night of live music.

Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

The next two track were arguably The Amazons’ biggest hits – Little Something and In My Mind. The combination of power chords and memorable hooks, really made the room come alive, with the crowd on each other’s shoulders, and singing the words straight back to the band. It really led to a great atmosphere in Buyers Club.

It is amazing to see how far this band have come in such a short space of time. After only forming the current line up in 2014, and working night shifts in supermarkets in order to fund their careers, The Amazons have really established a name for themselves in the industry. BBC Introducing has supported some of the biggest artists and bands in the music industry right now, including Catfish and the Bottlemen, Jake Bugg, and The Amazons are definitely going to be another one of their success stories. The future is only positive for this band, and they NEED to be playing in much larger venues. Their music should not be confined, and I can definitely see them being festival headliners in the near future, where I’ll be standing in the middle of the front row.

Featured Photo Credit: Ellen McGoran

Naomi Gillies

Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory, Liverpool (24/3/17)
PREVIEW: FestEvol Gardens @ Invisible Wind Factory (30/4/17)
Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club (23/3/17)