PREVIEW: Live at Leeds (29/4/17)

The city of Leeds is renowned for its indie music scene from blessing the nation with the likes of The Pigeon Detectives to the yearly 3 day extravaganza taking place in Branham Park.This year celebrates 10 years of the continuously expanding Live At Leeds, a festival which takes place across various venues dotted around the city. Every year, the festival brings emerging talent to the spotlight and acts as a platform for those hoping for success in the near future. The festival takes place on Saturday 29th April, perfect opportunity for a Bank Holiday party!

One of the headliners on the day is the man who has been on the fringe of the UK Hip-hop scene over the years, Rag’n’Bone Man. This year’s BRITS Critic Choice Award winner following in the footsteps of Catfish and the Bottlemen, Ellie Goulding and Tom Odell. His sultry tones combined with soulful lyricism lures you into a storytelling equivalent to the 1950s of the Deep South. If Rag’n’Bone Man doesn’t seem like your cup of tea then that’s only one musically scaled fish in a vast sea of polished artists.

Rag’n’Bone Man // Photo Credit: Mike Burnell

Other headliners on the day include the hunters of music, Slaves who brought the power of punk back to the surface in the last two years. A duo infamous for their intense stage presence and tracks that can only be enjoyed when screamed at a magnitude decibel, definitely in tracks such as Cheer Up London and Sockets. Their euphoric energy carries through their crowds and if you’re not dripping to the bone by the end of their set then have you really seen Slaves?

Slaves // Photo Credit: Scala

The variety of musical delicacies across the venues throughout the day is enough to tackle those tastebuds. Established solo singer/songwriters such as Gabrielle Aplin and Tom Grennan take pride on the day and are bound to draw in a crowd with their talent. Emerging solo artists such as Be Charlotte, Tom Walker & XamVolo are the ones to watch this year with exciting futures ahead. Headliners for next year’s festival perhaps?

Gabrielle Aplin // Photo Credit: WithGuitars

Finally, the bands. If you’re stood around not knowing what to do during the day then you’re in the wrong place because it’s definitely not Live at Leeds with the stellar and endless calibre of bands on the lineup! Many of the bands including Black Honey, Pale Waves, The Magic Gang and The Amazons are already smashing 2017 with records that break the barrier of sound. The genre of music is open to all, from pop debuts such as Fickle Friends & Clean Cut Kid to the next inventors of the indie anthems; Temples, Honeyblood, The Orielles and so many more!

Honeyblood // Photo Credit: ChunkyGlasses

So there you have it, if you’re stuck on what to do with your Bank Holiday Saturday then look no further because Live at Leeds is the answer to all your problems.

Lively city, lively music, lively atmosphere, Live at Leeds.  

Tickets Available online via Live At Leeds 

Featured Image Credit: Live At Leeds 

Helen Rabbitt