BEST OF THIS WEEK’S BUNCH: 20th – 26th March 2017

Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club 23.3.17 

It’s pouring with rain outside so what better way to escape the gloomy nights than to head down to Buyers Club on Thursday and escape to the tropical lineup of the Pinata Carnival! Word on the street is that there will be pinatas and the brilliant Liverpool based indie rock trio, Skinner’s Lane will be making their debut!

Skinner’s Lane take influence from the heaviness of Royal Blood with a splash of Black Keys personality, so their set is bound to be the talk of the night.

Alongside Skinner’s Lane on the bill for the night will be the recent talk of the town, Black Pulp. With their latest release, Cry Again having astounding success on Spotify, regular airtime on BBC Introducing and recently smashing their headline set at EBGBS last month, it would be a rookie mistake to miss these fellas as they’re certainly making their mark on the scene.

The lineup doesn’t end there as the third and final act, Native Kings are another local trio who call themselves a ‘3 piece stampede’…better watch your back because this alt act are gonna knock you down! Their latest release, Afraid to Love You is set to be on another level so be sure to get a teasing treat of the future smash and head down to Buyers Club on Thursday evening!

Tickets available online via Facebook Event Page & available OTD.

Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory 24.3.17 

World-renowned funk specialist Thundercat will be performing at the Invisible Wind Factory, this Friday for a sell-out event – the perfect venue for the artist. The member of legendary thrash punks Suicidal Tendencies has collaborated with the likes of Kendrick Lamar and Pharrell, along with the release of his critically acclaimed album Drunk, it is safe to say this night is going to be a special one.

Photo Credit: Alchetron

The genre-bending artist has a unique sound, which has attracted artist all around the world to collaborate with him. Hits such as Them Changes and Drunk are certainly going to be crowd favourites. Thundercat is a master of the bass guitar, and I am certainly looking forward to seeing his skill in person during the performance!

Words: Kuda Mushangi

Ditto Live w/ XamVolo & The Wicked Whispers @ Camp & Furnace 24.3.17

There’s so much new music out there in Liverpool, and luckily for us Ditto Music are hosting a night of top notch music, showcasing the best emerging artists from Merseyside. Hosted by BBC Introducing’s Dave Monks the line-up includes Xam Volo – an extremely talented musician who will be bringing his unique blend of Neo-Soul and Jazz to the night.

Photo Credit: Ditto Music

Also on the bill is alternative indie rock band Oya Paya, The Wicked Whispers with their classic rock sound and LUNGS, who are no doubt going to treat us all to a set packed full of their infectious tunes. Also making an appearance is Venus Demilo, a band who are quickly making waves in the Liverpool music scene.

But the music doesn’t stop there. Lilium, Seprona, The Sneaky Nixons, Little Triggers, The Mono LPs, Bribes, Danxia and Neil Noa complete the line-up for a night of fantastic music that is bound to keep you moving until the early hours of the morning.

Tickets available online via See Tickets 

Words: Laura Copestake

The Magic Gang (Supporting Circa Waves) @ Liverpool Guild of Students 24.3.17

Brighton four piece The Magic Gang play Liverpool Guild of Students this Friday night as one of the support acts alongside INHEAVEN to Circa Waves. Describing their genre of music as “music for you mind, body, spirt and soul”, this show is set to be an energetic one.

Photo Credit: Emma Swann

Coming off the back of supporting Wolf Alice and Swim Deep in the past two years, the dynamic band have earned themselves recognition for being one of the most fun bands to watch live.  With their single How Can I Compete being MistaJam’s Hottest Record in the World back in February on Radio 1, this band have already got a great backing behind them and are having a cracking start to 2017. So if you’re after a great night of indie-pop music, let’s hope you’ve bagged your ticket for this sold out gig on Friday!

Words: Naomi Gillies

Melodic Distractions w/ Roy Davis Jr. @ Camp & Furnace 24.3.17 

Honing from house’s spiritual home, Chicago, Roy Davis Jr is one of the legends we all dream about when we rest our dilated pupils. This is a one time offer, not only for Liverpool, but a statement largely true of the UK. With weeks of build up, Melodic Distraction have lay the foundations for what is set to be their biggest night of the year.

Photo Credit: Melodic Distraction

It seems strange that this is only their second birthday considering the absolute bits they’ve been doing across the city via Melodic Distraction radio, featuring local talent from Andrew Hill, Tom Lye, and the Melodic Distraction residents; Nick & Nath, as well as international monsters like Ross From Friends. Jaxon Lamond also joins the lineup, an Aussie kind enough to play us ‘poms’ his style of house from across the pond. (Two ponds? Water anyway.) Roy has been crate-digging for most of his life, so expect new gems, Chicago classics, and everything in between, but not dubstep; definitely not dubstep… or trance.

Final Release tickets available online via Skiddle

Words: George Griffin

The Slow Readers Club @ Arts Club 25.3.17 

The Slow Readers Club are a first-rate rock band from Manchester. Fronted by vocalist Aaron Starkie, guitar and backing vocals from Kurtis Starkie, Jim Ryan on bass guitar and last but not least David Whitworth on drums. The band have supported the likes of Catfish and the Bottlemen and the Manchester Evening News stated that ‘’The Slow Readers Club are currently one of the most exciting sounds coming out of our fair city’’.

Photo Credit: Broken Amp

This isn’t the first time that The Slow Readers Club will have played in Liverpool, previously playing at the Echo Arena alongside a whole host of other musicians in December last year. Their upcoming tour is kicking off in this city, 3 out of the 7 shows are already sold out, so grab your tickets quick because this band are set to give you a fantastic night full of fresh indie rock, not one to be missed.

Words: Grace Dutch 

Otherkin @ Arts Club 25.3.17

Otherkin are set to take the attic of the Arts Club by storm this Saturday in an event which you won’t want to miss out on. Being the last date of their Bad Advice tour after a mixture of headline shows and support slots for The Amazons, it’s unlikely this Dublin four piece will be taking any prisoners.

Photo Credit: Allevents

Currently creating ripples in the music scene, they have become known for their grungry Britpop sounding tunes and their ability for putting on one hell of a live performance. Having released music since 2015, they have already began to build up a back catalogue of songs including multiple singles and 2 EPs (Be sure to check out the latest single Bad Advice which is also the lead single off of their debut album). Supporting local Liverpudlian band, The Bohos alongside other acts Split and The Protagonists, the night is one you won’t be forgetting any time soon.

Tickets available online via Ticketweb

Words: Jess Fleming

Lewis Watson @ Manchester Sound Control 26.3.17 

The dreamboat and all-time lovely human that is the one and only Lewis Watson has made his return to the music scene and is better than ever! After what feels like a lifetime since his debut album, The Morning was released I’m forever happy to say that Lewis is back with a brand new album and a full tour including a date at Manchester’s very own Sound Control this Sunday.

Photo Credit: Bodega

You can expect to hear a mixture of new music and old as Lewis Watson is amongst those who have been uploading music on Youtube since 2010. With support from London band Slowlights, Sunday is set to be a dreamy and magical night of musical loveliness- not to be missed! Midnight is released this Friday (24/03/17)

Words: Jess Fleming

Featured Photo Credit: Katy Cummings 

Helen Rabbitt