Archive Liverpool w/ Slav @ HUS, 10/02/16

On a drizzly Friday night in Liverpool, we headed down to one of the city’s more unusual live music spots in the basement of HUS bar to welcome Liverpool’s newest promoters Archive to the scene.

For their debut party, they bought lo-fi house connoisseur Slav to Liverpool for his UK debut. A reclusive DJ in himself, Slav is better known for his pioneering YouTube channel which has brought about a lo-fi house revolution, bringing names such as DJ Seinfeld, Mall Grab, and DJ Boring to the spotlight. Liverpool couldn’t have been more of an ideal place for Slav to make his UK debut with a thriving lo-fi fan base here to greet him thanks to legendary local night Meine Nacht having brought the likes of Seinfeld and Mall Grab to the city in the last year alone.

Archive’s resident DJs kicked off proceedings nicely getting the good spirited crowd in the mood for dancing with a fine selection of groovy lo-fi house tunes before making way for the eagerly anticipated headliner, Slav, just after midnight.

Slav certainly knew how to play to his audience, with his YouTube channel being a lot of people’s entry into the deeper side of house music, he played a mixture of lo-fi favourites such as Liem’s ‘If Only’, and DJ Seinfeld’s emotional ‘U’, techno bangers like Dense and Pika’s ‘Colt’ and Boddika & Joy Orbison’s ‘Dun Dun’, and well-known house anthems such as Octave One’s ‘Black Water’ and Midland’s ‘Final Credits’ to keep the crowd dancing.

If I ever were to complain about the sheer number of good tunes though, it would be now. Although it’s great to hear songs you know on a night out, for me that’s not why I go. I like to be able to experience new and interesting music and the fact that I recognised so many tunes (even as an avid fan of dance music) made me think that maybe the set was a little safe and that Slav didn’t dig as deeply as you would have thought based off the original tunes on his channel.

Of course, being the first event for Archive, the night was bound to have a few teething problems but these were mostly down to the venue. Although the basement was a cool, industrial setting for a party, the bar upstairs was atmosphere-less and the drinks were very pricey, even for a club night, and despite being sold out, there was definitely room for a far bigger crowd on the dancefloor (although no complaints for having room to dance!).

Minor criticisms aside, this was a fun and enjoyable night that kept me dancing for the duration – even if that was only until 2am! After their first sell-out night, Liverpool can be sure to expect big things from Archive in the future with their next night already planned at Camp & Furnace in March and hopefully lots more to come in the future!

To see what Archive have planned next, check ’em out here: Archive Liverpool

Photo Credit: Archive Liverpool Facebook

Alex Williams
Music Submissions Editor and Technical Support