Rory Wynne (VO5/NME Awards Tour) @ Liverpool Olympia (17/3/2017)

Playing the first support slot for a band like Blossoms is always going to be a tough one; like most of the tour, the show at Liverpool Olympia was sold out, and the denim-clad posse of Blossoms fans were out in force for the second night of the VO5/NME Awards Tour. But Stockport’s Rory Wynne rose to the occasion naturally.

In a set full of swagger, Wynne took to the stage with a presence that was simultaneously more mature and on a par with what you’d expect from a 17 year old. There’s certainly that nostalgic vibe with Rory – he seems like the type of guy that might sleep in a leather jacket. But there’s also a youthful swagger and frankness to his sound.

Included in his set was much of Wynne’s recent EP release What Would Rory Wynne Do?. Perhaps the highlight for me was Star in the Sky – a catchy track with a snappy riff and lulling sense of security about it. We also heard In the Dark, another track from Wynne’s recent release. Here what we had was an example of Wynne working with the music to control exactly what he’s singing; guitar and vocal slightly jarring but in a managed fashion.

Photo Credit: Keith Ainsworth

A little bit of the Rory Wynne paradox was furthered as he launched into After Me. Rory unashamedly pipes up with “This is a song about how great I am,” and he doesn’t lie. Although saying that, the actual line we find is ‘you’re the second greatest thing in the universe after me,’ which, in a philosophical sort of way, is quite complimentary. Essentially there’s a message here that ‘you’re better than the sun,’ and the sun does do some great stuff. I guess here Wynne sits on another crossfade – a bit cocky, but in a complimentary sort of way.

Rounding off his set with Why Don’t You, Wynne set the night up in an energetic fashion. Once audiences figure out quite what to make of him, this guy is a promising talent.

Featured Photo Credit: Keith Ainsworth 

We got the chance to catch up with Rory before he took to stage. Full Interview available here 

Cecily Sheppard

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17