The Daydio Show
The Daydio Show

The Magic Gang @ Liverpool Guild of Students (24/3/17)

Joining Circa Waves as part of their sold out show at the Liverpool Guild of Students last Friday night, were 4-piece band, The Magic Gang. The Brighton-based band describe themselves as “melody makers” and “vibe crafters” and so I was very excited as to what they had in store.

It was hard to believe that they were actually a support act for the night. They had a host of loyal fans there to see them, with the audience on each other’s shoulders and throwing beer everywhere like it was their own headline show. It was great to have such a vibrant atmosphere created before the main act had even appeared on stage. You can definitely see why they have a reputation for being such a fun band to watch live.

Photo Credit: Tom Adam

The Magic Gang have the perfect combination of catchy tunes, energetic stage presence and a geek-chic charm created mainly by lead singer, Jack, complete with Harry Potter style glasses – you can’t help but enjoy yourself when watching them. There were underlying blues/jazz vibes to some of their tracks which I really enjoyed. Their track, Blue for You was definitely a personal favourite of the night. It wouldn’t be amiss from any 50’s/60’s teen film, and was filled with blues chords that Presley himself would be proud of. I was particularly impressed with bassist, Angus Taylor. Due to the emphasis of a creating more soulful pop songs, there is much more diversity in what instruments you actually hear in their music, rather than just your standard lead guitar and drums, which I really enjoy. Reverting back to the more traditional pop sounds created by bands such as The Beach Boys, does make The Magic Gang stand out more in what is becoming quite a generic pop scene right now.

There was a good mixture of upbeat tempo and more relaxed and chilled tracks within their set, which really gave the audience a chance to hear their skills as musicians. There were some really great harmonies and also some impressive falsetto too. I started to wish we could skip the ever looming exams and go straight to summer, as their music is absolutely perfect for listening to with a group of friends, in the summer time, complete with beer in hand.

The Magic Gang have a great 2017 planned. Already providing MistaJam with his ‘Hottest Record in The World’ on Radio 1, with the single, How Can I Compete, a headline tour starting at the end of April (finishing at Liverpool’s Sound City in May), and also being announced to play Lattitude Festival in the summer. If you’re a fan of The Wombats or Coasts, I reckon you’re going to love this band. Their third EP, aptly titled EP Three, also came out on Liverpool show day in preparation for release of their debut album sometime in the future.

The Magic Gang, like their name, are magical. They already have a large fan base which I am sure is only going to expand as they get more airtime on the radio and play even larger crowds. As their popularity grows, I really hope they stand their ground and stick to their sound right now, as there is a risk that they could potentially sound a bit commercial and predictable. From seeing them live however, I get the impression that they know what sound they want to make, and hopefully this continues with them in the future.  They have gained a new fan in myself, and I will definitely be following their progress. Now all we need is some sunshine, so I can have them blasting through my speakers whilst driving in my car looking like I could fit into any cliché film scene.

Featured Photo Credit: Tom Adam

Naomi Gillies