Thundercat @ Invisible Wind Factory, Liverpool (24/3/17)

In terms of genres, Thundercat is one of the few artists in this generation who arguably cannot be categorised in any genre. With a unique combination and sound, this gig was guaranteed to be an interesting fusion of music – and it certainly did not disappoint. Performing alongside Justin Brown (the drummer) and the pianist (Dennis Ham), the trio combined harmoniously on stage. Invisible Wind Factory was the perfect venue for the American artist, with strobe lights continuously making a feature and helping the psychedelic aspect of his music. A lot of effort was put in to create an interior, which fitted wonderfully with the music and performance.

Following the latest release of his critically acclaimed album ‘Drunk’, the excitement and buzz throughout the crowd was clear and could be felt within the venue.  Thundercat’s album blends together beautifully, and this is a feature which also worked well live, with several performances of songs from the album turning into jam sessions. Although Thundercat was the main attraction of the event, his supporting drummer and the pianist certainly deserve an honourable mention, with the drummer, in particular, stealing the show on several occasions – evening leaving Thundercat himself in shock and awe.

The energy throughout the performance was electric and contagious. Standout songs such as ‘Friendzone’ proving to be crowd favourites, along with his hit ‘Them Changes’.  Fans were also pleased to hear the artist perform ‘Apocalypse’ one of the earlier songs in his career. Thundercat mentioned to the crowd during the performance that they ‘had been touring for way too long’ in a witty manner, but there was no sign of exhaustion of fatigue in any part of the performance. All the artists on the stage put an outstanding amount of energy into their artistry, and it was refreshing for the crowd to see. This performance was an example of three outstanding instrumentalists on stage complimenting each other’s sound and blending together to create something fantastically special.  The crowd was also treated to a special performance of Kendrick Lamar’s hit song ‘These Walls’, one of the many highlights on the night. This stripped-down version of the hit allowed the crowd to understand the integral role he played throughout not only that song, but also the rest of Kendrick Lamar’s ‘To Pimp A Butterfly’.

This performance was unforgettable and it was interesting to hear how Thundercat’s album ‘Drunk’ sounded differently when performed live. With some songs on the album being 3 minutes but when performed live turning into 15-minute jams, it was clear which songs Thundercat enjoyed recording and which songs excited him the most. This was wonderful to see and I will certainly be looking forward to seeing him live again!

Kuda Mushangi

PREVIEW: FestEvol Gardens @ Invisible Wind Factory (30/4/17)
Pinata Carnival: Skinner’s Lane w/ Black Pulp & Native Kings @ Buyers Club (23/3/17)