Torben Unit (fka Max Graef Band) @ Constellations (9/3/17)

Liverpool is known for its vast love for all things music, and with a new band name and a new LP, Torben Unit (formerly known as Max Graef Band) headed down to Constellations the other week to deliver their experimental sound to an eagerly awaiting audience.

After arriving at Constellations, the night was already beginning to warm up with the Melodic Distraction residents on the decks whilst people mingled around the bar area and got drinks. They never fail to keep the atmosphere at a high and we positioned ourselves on the edge of a bench to listen to the soulful tunes. After a while, the doors to the main room were opened and slowly everyone found their way to the stage where Torben Unit were ready to play.

What followed was over an hour of the band showcasing the best of their unique and remarkable sound. Their German take on contemporary funk was like nothing I had heard before and this combined with the dancefloor-infused melodies, produced a set which had the crowd moving and dancing along from start to finish. There is no arguing that the band possesses vast amounts of musical talent and they all showed this individually on their chosen instruments. Their mixture of distorted jazz, experimental soul, and free flowing rhythmic workouts further proved how naturally talented and in sync the band were.

Torben Unit’s Liverpool debut came with lots of well-deserved praise from the audience on the night. Hopefully, we will be seeing the band back again in the city very soon.

Photo credit: Electronic Beats

Laura Copestake
Laura Copestake is a student at the University of Liverpool.