New & Noteworthy
New & Noteworthy

Blaenavon @ Studio 2 (04/04/17)

It’s always a pleasure to head down to the glorious Studio 2 for a night of tantalizing music, there’s a vibe about the place that seems so nostalgic and cool at the same time. This time it was to see the Hampshire trio – Blaenavon.

Now these lads have had a bit of a craze brewing around them recently, touring with The Sherlocks and Sundara Karma they’ve definitely got their foot in the door to the right tracks. With Studio 2 not being the biggest venue around its a good starting point for the band, with the show being sold out its good to know they’ve kept a decent following with their recent exposure.

Supported by Her’s; a surfer-esque melodic two piece from Liverpool and Anteros; a 90’s nostalgic indie four piece from London, from the outset it was sure to be a nice evening full of nonchalant pop vibes.

As Blaenavon graced the stage all eyes were undoubtedly drawn to front man and guitarist Ben Gregory, painted with make-up and thrashing around his luscious locks (huge hair envy by the way) it was hard to understand how this guy could play these incredible chords whilst not being able to see from the mane-whipping. Nonetheless, it was kind of impressive.

Playing old and new songs such as Let’s Pray and Orthodox Man, it was evident that these were there most popular out of a similar bunch of songs. Being one of the catchier tunes, Orthodox Man was definitely a personal favourite; with more songs like this i’m sure they’ll start to woo some bigger crowds.

Perched to the far right side it was nice to see a bunch of young teens at the front of the crowd  jumping around enthusiastically about their new favourite band, it kind of reminded me of how I was when I was younger with the likes of You Me At Six; watching my favourite band in a tiny venue, paying £9 for a ticket and creating the best memories.

I’m not saying that Blaenavon will get to the success from this moment that You Me At Six has, but I’m not going to say it’s completely out of the question for these lads. It’s clear they’re passionate about their music and a lot of hard work has gone into getting to where they are now.

My advice would be to keep on keeping on…. they’re clearly getting the recognition they deserve, it’s just a wonder if they’ll be able to keep up with it!

Blaenavon’s debut album That’s Your Lot is now available to stream and digitally purchase via Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon and Google Play.

Featured Photo Credit: Getintothis

Alice Pearce

Frances @ Manchester Gorilla (3/4/17)