Saturday nights out in Liverpool are not one many of us wish to endure, especially if you’ve spent the previous night rocking out to Circa Waves at Mountford Hall. However, when faced with the opportunity to see Dublin’s very own Otherkin blow the roof off of the Arts Club everything changes. With an offer impossible to refuse, myself and the fabulous Helen Rabbitt of Run Rabbitt Run fame headed off for a night that was certainly memorable for more reasons than one.

Arriving just as local band SPLIT were finishing up we managed to catch The Protagonists’ set- something which included seeing the strangest mosh pit ever created. As the younger more intoxicated members of the crowd slammed into one another without a single care in the world, Helen and I were left incredibly confused retreating further and further back in hope we wouldn’t get trampled on (or our drinks spilled). Thankfully Otherkin unknowingly answered our prayers and came to our rescue soon enough as they made their way on stage.

I Was Born was the perfect opener to the band’s set and instantaneously made the whole room come alive- not just those who were a part of the mosh pit scene. As the night went on lead vocalist Luke Reilly not only showed off his exceptional vocals to those watching but also his ability to capture an audience and keep everyone on their toes. Jumping over the barrier with guitar in hand he weaved around the crowd whilst continuing to perform as if breaking down the gap between musician and spectator. Making the whole venue crouch around him before leaping up in a frenzy of dancing and movement, Reilly’s passion for engaging those around him paired with his onstage energy is something not all bands manage to attain.

Some of the more memorable songs from their past EPs made appearances throughout, including catchy song Feel It and also the incredibly guitar heavy AY AY. However, the band also showed off some newer material such as React, a song I look forward to hearing again, and whose name I only know after scouring the internet for hours on end. Otherkin’s newest single Bad Advice taken from their upcoming debut album was certainly a highlight of the night, as despite being short it covers everything a good song should be- memorable, attention-grabbing and incredibly addictive. For me, another standout was Yeah, I Know, the way it builds up in intensity in a similar way to that of a Foals track along with the way it is performed live, shows you why it’s the bands most listened to song on Spotify.

With Liverpool being the last date on their nonstop and incredibly lengthy UK tour supporting The Amazons, Otherkin undoubtedly put on a show and a half, displaying as much energy as if it was only day one. Sporting a sound similar to that of Asylums, VANT and Pretty Vicious, there’s no question that Otherkin are a band to watch out for. Talking to them after their set and seeing their enthusiasm for music only confirms this fact. Hopefully they will return to Liverpool soon for yet another remarkable performance.

Featured Photo Credit: GG Conway 

Jess Fleming

Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)
Sylvan Esso @ EVAC (10/11/2017)
Metallica @ Manchester Arena (28/10/2017)
Emily Barker @ Leaf – 8/11/17