Wed 19 Sep on LSRadio
LSRadio x BBC Radio 1
Scott Mills & Chris Stark

New schedule starts soon
Join us at Freshers Fair
Wed 19 Sep on LSRadio
LSRadio x BBC Radio 1
Scott Mills & Chris Stark

New schedule starts soon
Join us at Freshers Fair

Erasure, Bright Light Bright Light @ Philharmonic, 08/02/18

The Philharmonic Hall is an epic venue in Liverpool, with a sound-quality fit for an orchestra, and a futurisitc inside like that of some kind of cavernous space ship. Any band that plays here is bound to be a good experience. Tonight it was playing host to 80s synth-pop legends Erasure.

Support act Bright Light Bright Light kicked off the evening with an assured performance of his own blend of vibrant electronic music which puts a modern twist on the sounds of classic bands like Erasure through the styles of tropical synth-pop and nu-disco. Donning a rainbow suit and carrying a saxophone, the South-Walean delivered a confident and euphoric performance befitting of a stadium-filler and his music carried the flair of some of the best 80s pop music. It was the perfect introduction for the rest of the evening to come.

Though the Philharmonic is a strictly seated venue, it didn’t last long because as soon as Erasure took to the stage the whole audience stood up to dance to opener ‘Oh L’amour’ and the stage came alive and the lights came on. The stage and lighting looked like it had come straight out of the movie Tron with keyboardist Vince Clarke towering over the stage from atop a tower lit with neon light beams and Andy Bell singing on the stage below accompanied by two eccentrically-dressed female backing singers performing from two portals either side of Clarke.

The duo powered through nearly two hours of their biggest hits over the evening with the audience barely in their seats as Erasure played through their hits including ‘Blue Savannah‘, ‘Stop!’, ‘Drama!’ and an exciting surprise cover of Blondie’s ‘Atomic’.

Although the gig was completely sold-out with a full house in-attendance, it felt very personal at times with Bell often sharing stories, and talking to the audience throughout the show to hear their stories too which were very touching and shows the dedication of Erasure’s fans.

The show culminated in a huge finale where the duo played their two biggest hits ‘Sometimes’ and ‘A Little Respect’ to a euphoric crowd before bowing out to rapturous applause leaving anyone who was there that night in a very good mood after listening to an evening of infectiously-fun synth-pop.

Alex Williams
Music Submissions Editor and Technical Support

COMPETITION: Tom Zanetti & K.O Kane @ VK Electric Full Moon Party
ENRG Presents Dusky, Lo Shea, Kiwi and Blehrin @ IWF (2/3/18)
Marmozets – Knowing What You Know Now
Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)