Wed 19 Sep on LSRadio
LSRadio x BBC Radio 1
Scott Mills & Chris Stark

New schedule starts soon
Join us at Freshers Fair
Wed 19 Sep on LSRadio
LSRadio x BBC Radio 1
Scott Mills & Chris Stark

New schedule starts soon
Join us at Freshers Fair

Catholic Action @ The Shipping Forecast (03/03/18)

With The Magnet having announced its closure as a music venue earlier last month, it was fitting that another underground music venue should enter my life so soon- this time in the form of the very ‘cave like’ basement of The Shipping Forecast. Having not ventured there in over a year, and having never experienced the place as a gig venue, I was curious how the place would hold, in what would be a very energetic night thanks to 4 piece Glaswegian rockers Catholic Action.

First support of the night came from the cleverly named Chester girl band Peaness, however; with a delayed 86A bus deciding to foil my plans, I missed their set in it’s entirety. Having seen the band in late 2016, I can only expect they have progressed rapidly since this point, and still solidly recommend them as ones to keep a look out for due to their poppy and upbeat vibe (no matter the lyrical content).

Next up was local lads SPINN, who’s name is one you cannot avoid around the Liverpool scene. This was my third time seeing the group over the past 10 months and I can honestly say that each time they have improved by the shedload. With 5 singles now under their belt, their debut EP set to be released on 6th April, and sold out EP Launch taking place at Arts Club early next month, it’s easy to say that SPINN are on a rollercoaster that is only going up.

Their set went from one strength to the next, whether it came from front man Johnny Quinn’s infectious and impressive dance moves, the band’s ability to throw out one indie dream pop banger after another, or even the occasional sass and adlib between songs. Highlights included two unreleased tracks which continued to play on SPINN’s unique and bright style, whilst also showing their development and progress as a band. Ending on the memorable ‘Notice Me’, SPINN pulled it out of the bag once more, making me very excited to see them perform at Arts Club next month.

Soon it was time for the main act on the night, Catholic Action. Having released their slick and addictive debut album ‘In Memory Of’ in October of last year, and with their UK tour now in full swing, the band launched into set opener ‘Doing Well‘ with comfort and ease. Catholic Action had impeccable timing as they transitioned from song to song. ‘One of Us’ followed, along with ‘Rita Ora’, providing a good mix between album tracks and singles previously released.

Personal favourite, ‘Black and White’, went down well within the venue, with frontman Chris McCrory’s vocals complimenting well alongside the guitars. Preceding this with the heavier and fuller sounding Breakfast’, the band provided yet another flawless performance, sounding just as, if not better, than their album recordings.

Closing the night on album opener, and their most popular track, ‘L.U.V’ Catholic Action cemented themselves as an incredibly strong live act that does not disappoint.

Chris McCrory provided some laughs throughout the night, commenting on the two men stood in the corner talking during the set and how they could have each bought 2 pints upstairs for the price of their tickets. His entire stage presence was mesmerising, from the theatrical aspects in the performance of track ‘Grange Hill’ , to the dedication at the end of their set to stay completely frozen for several minute afterwards before being collected by a very concerned drummer.

With a back catalogue of music to die for, I’m intrigued to see which direction they go in next.

Featured Photo Credit: NME 

Catholic Action’s debut album ‘In Memory Of’ is available for digitally purchase and stream on all streaming services including Spotify & Apple Music. Physical copies are available to purchase via their official online store

Jess Fleming

COMPETITION: Tom Zanetti & K.O Kane @ VK Electric Full Moon Party
Yonaka – Teach Me to Fight | EP review
Peace – Soundcity Interview – 06/05/2018
Hannah Wants @ IWF (3/3/18)