On Air Now
On Air Now

Whenyoung @ Shipping Forecast 27/09/18

The three members of Irish indie upstarts Whenyoung took to the Shipping Forecast stage at half past 9 to kick-off their 45-minute set. Dressed in standout blue, red and yellow boilersuits – a visual niche which Whenyoung have made their own – whilst a voice track repeatedly echoes the name “Whenyoung”, the tone is immediately set for the trio to roll into their show. The band showcase several new songs anticipated to be on their debut album, including fiery rock track I See Hell, which sees the Liverpool crowd, itself dotted with Whenyoung berets and boilersuits, warm up into the gig. Stripped-back love song Blow Up also provides a highlight, conveying a vulnerability which opens up a new dimension to the band’s sound. The set is brought home with the catchy riffs of Pretty Pure, before Whenyoung thank the Liverpudlian crowd and finish the gig with the recent Radio 1 Track of the Week, Given Up. This track is driven by an angry drumbeat before breaking down into a more subdued indie song, a blend between the anger-driven influence of Dream Wife’s Hey Heartbreaker and the more delicate ‘Japanese House’-style tempo.

The three-piece convey a real confidence on stage; clearly touring with the likes of Declan McKenna and Dream Wife have blossomed a maturity in the band. I would liken their stage presence to Wolf Alice – a niche look alongside enjoyable indie tunes with a big rock influence. If Whenyoung can seize the opportunity to gain more fans whilst on tour with The Vaccines and Blossoms, then this band could surge to the forefront of the U.K indie scene.

Look out for Alex Macey’s interview with Whenyoung over on the Interviews page very soon!

Image courtesy of Wild Promotions UK

Alex Macey

Whenyoung @ Shipping Forecast 27/09/18
Hannah Wants @ IWF (3/3/18)
ENRG Presents Dusky, Lo Shea, Kiwi and Blehrin @ IWF (2/3/18)
Erasure, Bright Light Bright Light @ Philharmonic, 08/02/18
Mac Demarco @ Mountford Hall (21/11/2017)