On Air Now
On Air Now

Superorganism @ Arts Club – 16/10/18

Rising alternative septet Superorganism recently brought their electronically-tinged indie-pop extravaganza to Liverpool’s Arts Club for a gig that proved exactly why they are one of alternative music’s hottest prospects. Following an enjoyable set by opening act CHAI, Superorganism made their entrance at 9pm, and I do really mean ‘entrance’, as this certainly wasn’t your average band walk-on. Each member took to the stage draped in sparkly capes and hoods, holding glowing orbs, and resembling members of the world’s jazziest cult, and based on the audience reaction, its certainly a cult that Superorganism’s Liverpool fans would happily join.

Opening the set with their title track SPRORGNSM, things immediately start off on a major high, with the instantly-transfixed Liverpool crowd singing along and taking in the gig’s mind-meltingly spectacular visuals. For a band still relatively new to the scene, and who amazingly did not meet in person until after their album had been recorded, Superorganism have already put together a brilliant live experience that feels truly unique. While each member contributed equally to the quality of the performance, the show was most definitely stolen by the effortlessly cool frontwoman Orono Noguchi. Her laid-back, almost-nonchalant delivery brilliantly played off the more animated performances of the three backing vocalists (B, Ruby, and Soul, respectively), as well as the extravagant visuals, to create something hugely entertaining that will last long in the memory. The best way to sum up this gig is to say that is was just plain fun, in the best and most pure sense of the word. The atmosphere in the Arts Club was palpable, with the band clearly having a blast and maintaining high energy levels, whilst Orono interacted brilliantly with the fans throughout the set to really make them feel like a part of the show.

When reviewing a band with such seemingly-infinite potential, it is almost too easy to say that they could one day be huge. Yet when it comes to Superorganism this kind of statement really does not feel like hyperbole. Having already achieved so much in an alarmingly short space of time, from delivering a standout debut album, to establishing a reputation as an unforgettable live act, the future cannot be anything but blindingly bright for Superorganism. Without comparing them too heavily to other acts, if their current trajectory and pace is to continue, the band could legitimately be in league with the likes of Gorillaz within a few years, such is their potential for breakout success in the alternative scene.

Although their Liverpool set only lasted for an all-to-brief 50 minutes, nobody in attendance was left in any way disappointed, as Superorganism delivered what is surely Liverpool’s gig of the month, and a strong contender for one of the best of the year. Other bands take note, because Superorganism truly are the shape of indie things to come.

Superorganism’s self-titled debut album is out now on Domino.

Daniel Moore

PREVIEW: Skinner’s Lane @ Jacaranda Phase 1 17/11/18
Sam Fender @ The Shipping Forecast 07/11/18
Zuzu @ Jacaranda Records 7/11/18
IDLES @ 02 Ritz Manchester – 19/10/18
Superorganism @ Arts Club – 16/10/18