On Air Now
On Air Now

Tom Grennan @ O2 Academy – 20/10/18

Tom Grennan’s newly released debut album Lighting Matches is packed full of belters and a unique talent which has been incredibly well received. The highly anticipated debut album tour came to Liverpool’s O2 Academy on the 20th October and it didn’t disappoint. The night was opened by two very talented acts (and ones to watch out for) Zuzu and Elli Ingram, both getting the crowd hyped for the main man himself.

Grennan came onto stage alone to cheers and chants and began with the stripped back acoustic ‘Sweet Hallelujah’ under a spotlight highlighting his talented, unique vocals. The Bedford boy quickly brought his band on for fan favourite ‘Royal Highness’ getting the crowds off their feet belting along with Grennan continually saying ‘It’s hot in here’ and ‘drink something even if it’s beer!’. The sheer amount of people made it a sweaty experience, but no one cared as Tom got the atmosphere climbing song after song.

Tom’s trademark cheeky charm was as prominent as ever while he chatted between songs, proving that his down to earth nature has not been tainted by his new found fame. Then the chants started to come from the audience shouting ‘Bedford, Bedford, Bedford’ which Tom played down saying ‘It’s all about Liverpool tonight’. Throughout the night, the crowd worked themselves up to be one of the ‘the best’ he has ever played for. His setlist was vast and varied playing well known energetic tunes alongside more Sheeran-esque numbers like ‘Lucky ones’ and ‘I Might.’

The highlight of the gig was his chart hit ‘Found what I’ve been looking for’, encouraging the audience to sing the catchy melody. Tom showed no fear by jumping into the crowd and singing the remainder of the song amongst his fans. Unsurprisingly this resulted in a mosh with everyone trying to experience this intimacy, something that is likely to never happen again as he develops as an artist.

Tom is definitely going to continue to grow in popularity if the past year is anything to go by. His charisma, style and talent appeal to all, and as he put it best, ‘I’m not going anywhere’.

Photos from Live4Ever’s gallery, courtesy of Gary Mather

Gabriel Morris

Sam Fender @ The Shipping Forecast 07/11/18
Bad Sounds @ O2 Academy 02/11/18
Zuzu @ Jacaranda Records 7/11/18
Husky Loops @ EBGBs 24/10/18
Tom Grennan @ O2 Academy – 20/10/18