On Air Now
On Air Now

Zuzu @ Jacaranda Records 7/11/18

Self-confessed sci-fi fanatic Zuzu recently returned home for her first Liverpool headlining gig at the always-intimate Jacaranda Records, a performance which helped prove that this rising-star of the British music scene truly is out of this world (trust me, the gig was much, much better than that sorry attempt at a joke).    

The entire night was a celebration of the north-west’s indie-scene and a demonstration of what the up-and-coming guitar bands here have to offer, with Zuzu preceded by the Liverpudlian-quartet Shards and the rather subtly named Cheshire-based trio, Peaness. Their latest song, Ugly Veg, about the potential dangers of food waste, got the whole crowd dancing to its upbeat melody as well as hopefully pondering over how just a few small changes in their grocery shopping habits could help create a more sustainable world for the future generations to come (I mean what else would you be thinking about at a gig right?)

Cue Zuzu, who ensured all eyes of this hometown crowd were fixated on her and only her before she even sang a note, by walking onto the stage in a stylish bright-yellow suit, before immediately taking the jacket off, proclaiming that ‘it’s just too bloody hot up here’, showing to all us mere mortals that even rock stars can get a little sweaty sometimes. Kicking things off with her first ever track, the infectious, bass-driven Where’d you go immediately engrossed those in the crowd not already won-over by Zuzu’s amazingly outlandish choice of fashion, shown by the sympathy and love the crowd gave her when she admitted she had been feeling slightly under the weather after finishing the song.

Propelled by the overwhelmingly positive support of her adoring fans, Zuzu was able to seemingly overcome this illness at least for the duration of her performance, effortlessly serenading the packed-out Jacaranda as she took the whole place on a weird and wonderful journey through her catchy back-catalogue of indie-pop goodness.

Zuzu’s determination to battle through was never more apparent than during the penultimate song, Can’t Be Alone. This emotional, soon to be released track included a vocal solo which allowed the crowd to truly appreciate her uniquely beautiful and undoubtedly scouse singing voice, which showed that it would take much more than a silly little sickness ‘bug’ for Zuzu to not deliver a stand out performance.

The show came to an all-too-soon end with fan favourite All Good, a song that epitomises everything there is to love about Zuzu, strong sci-fi influences, a catchy pop-rock hook and her lovely voice. This was immediately followed by a huge outpouring of applause from the obviously wildly devoted crowd, showing that wherever Zuzu’s unmistakably bright future may take her, the crowds in Liverpool will always make her feel right at home.  

Photos by Getintothis’ Gary Coughlan 

Charlie Lyons

PREVIEW: Skinner’s Lane @ Jacaranda Phase 1 17/11/18
Sam Fender @ The Shipping Forecast 07/11/18
Zuzu @ Jacaranda Records 7/11/18
IDLES @ 02 Ritz Manchester – 19/10/18
Superorganism @ Arts Club – 16/10/18