On Air Now
On Air Now
Ady Suleiman – Arts Club

16/03/19

After a year of new music, touring and critically commended success, Ady Suleiman, winner of ‘Breakthrough Act of the Year’ at Gilles Peterson’s Worldwide Awards, is currently embarking on his UK and European tour, and returned to Liverpool’s Arts Club this weekend to treat us to his soulful and vibrant music. 

Emerging talent and previous LIPA student, Ady and his band brought Liverpool positive vibes and musical brilliance, ahead of new music release, which he calls a ‘Mixtape’, somewhere between an album and EP – out on the 5thof April.

Ady’s support was the extremely talented newcomer, Mathilda Homer, who got things going with her incredible voice and mellow vibes, especially with the funky, jazz-inspired track ‘Ready When You Are’, which fans of Tom Misch will enjoy.

Compared to the last time I saw Ady live at KOKO Camden, nearly the same time last year, Ady’s gig was packed out with more people who sing every lyric to his songs. It is clear from his presence on stage that touring has made him grow in confidence and refined his performance. Ady seems more at home on stage than ever, and his expanding group of followers seem to agree, as most of his songs were sung back to him by the audience. 

The crowd favourites were, the cheeky number ‘I Remember’, and one of his earliest tracks, ‘Need Somebody to Love’. Ady’s soulful vocals, which, accompanied by the at times witty and at others, sentimental lyrics of his music created a really special gig at the Arts Club, which included some of his new music, ‘Been Thru’, from his upcoming Mixtape. As well as music from Memories, with the lyrically candid So Lost’and the upbeat, reggae track ‘Running Away’ from his 2016 EP Ady Suleiman.

For the whole set, Ady and his band brought positive energy and solid musical performances, notably, an amazing Purple Rain level guitar solo in the last song ‘Memories’, which Ady said is his favourite to perform live. The set was a well-balanced mixture of his fun and vibrant tracks, and his more moving and melancholic songs, and the audience wanted more, calling Ady and his band back for an encore of two more songs.

Ady’s tour continues until the 8thof April and many dates have sold out already so make sure you get tickets soon, you don’t want to miss it!

More on tour dates and tickets here: https://www.adysuleimanofficial.com/live/categories/all/page/1

Molly Moe
Molly Moe

More

Ady Suleiman Interview
Ady Suleiman – Arts Club
PREVIEW: Ady Suleiman @ Arts Club 16/03
Will disadvantaged regions in the UK benefit from the £1.6 Billion ‘Stronger Towns Fund’ negotiation between May and Labour MPs?
PREVIEW: Trixie Mattel @ Mountford Hall 7/03/19