On Air Now
On Air Now

Maverick Sabre @ Arts Club, Liverpool 06/04/19

Following on from the release of his latest album When I Wake Up, Maverick Sabre performed at Liverpool’s intimate Arts Club for a night which would give the audience a live experience of some of his most memorable and most personal songs from the album. Having followed Maverick Sabre for several years, I was eager to see how his emotion, which is clearly evident in his studio recordings, would come across on stage.

The night began in perfect fashion with the soulful singing of Jordan Max, an undoubtedly talented Manchester artist who is certainly tipped for success in the future. His confidence and charisma on stage engaged the whole audience, with some of the viewers shouting, ‘What’s your name?!’ following on from worthy applause.

Maverick Sabre’s band were the first to position themselves on stage, with the instrumentalists kicking off the set before Maverick revealed himself through the darkness and began by singing ‘Preach’, the first song on his latest album. He then proceeded to perform a couple of songs from When I Wake Up, picking the more upbeat and faster tempo songs such as the powerful Chronixx collaboration titled ‘Her Grace, one of the singles from the album. Another popular song of the night is one of the highlights from the album ‘Slow Down’ ft. Jorja Smith, which he also perfumed (without Smith).

A surprising feature of the set was a medley, of which Maverick Sabre stated: “These songs have influenced my career massively and I have a real connection with them”. This medley would include classic R&B songs such as Craig David – 7 Days, Usher, and Follow the Leader. This was beautifully done, and one of the most impressive parts was the transition into his own song which followed directly after.

The Urban artist was very aware of his dedicated fanbase and the final third of his set was a mixture of songs form his previous projects, dating back to 2010 with ‘Sometimes’ and ‘Come Fly Away’.

The highlight of the night was undoubtedly his performance of ‘I Need’. Before the gig, I was unsure how successfully Maverick Sabre would be able to bring his emotion and vulnerability to the stage, but this performance removed all doubt from my mind. The song, which is beautifully crafted in itself, invited the audience to join into the experience. It was evident how much the song meant to the artist and those in the crowd.

The night was closed with the song ‘Glory’, a fitting ending to an incredible experience at a perfect venue. Maverick Sabre’s stage presence and professionalism, whilst also being himself, is something which should be praised. This experience was everything I thought it would be.F

Photograph Credit: Telegraph, Bernadette McNulty

Follow the LSRadio Music Team on Twitter @LSRadioMusic

Kuda Mushangi

PREVIEW: Trixie Mattel @ Mountford Hall 7/03/19
SHOW SPOTLIGHT: Decibel rock hour – Friday 3pm
Sound City 2019 news: Loads more artists added to the line-up!
Persian Hugs @ 02 Academy Liverpool 14/12/18