Who’s going to take over leadership of the Reds from Ed?

Now a week since Ed Miliband’s party suffered defeat at the hands of the Conservatives, speculation about who might take his place as Labour leader is increasing.

Despite the outcome of the general election, Labour swamped any threat from the other parties here in Liverpool, winning seats in all of the five constituencies available.

With Ed Miliband’s resignation, LSRadio looks at who could be the new leading voice of Labour.

Andy Burnham – Shadow Secretary of State for Health

Andy Burnham GB Labour MP Leigh

Andy Burnham
GB Labour MP Leigh

Mr Burnham is the current favourite due to extensive experience in government. The Labour MP for Leigh in Greater Manchester since 2001, Andy Burnham ran for leadership of the Labour Party in 2010, but lost out to Ed Miliband. Burnham previously served as health secretary under Gordon Brown as well as formerly holding positions as culture secretary and chief secretary to the Treasury.

Tristram Hunt – Shadow Secretary of State for Education

Tristram Hunt GB Labour MP Stoke-on-Trent Central

Tristram Hunt
GB Labour MP Stoke-on-Trent Central

Made shadow education secretary in 2013, Tristram Hunt was elected in 2010 as the Labour MP for Stoke-on-Trent Central. A historian and journalist, Mr Hunt has been extremely critical of the Conservative/Liberal Democrat coalition’s education policies and told BBC Question Time that he was “interested” in running to succeed Ed Miliband.

Mary Creagh – Shadow Secretary of State for International Development

Mary Creagh GB Labour MP Wakefield

Mary Creagh
GB Labour MP Wakefield

The shadow international development secretary announced her intention to contend for leadership via an article in the Daily Mail. Having joined Parliament in 2005, Ms Creagh gained experience of government as an assistant whip from 2009 – 2010. Mary Creagh has held various shadow cabinet positions in the last five years, and remained in her brief as shadow international development secretary following acting party leader Harriet Harman’s cabinet re-shuffle.

Yvette Cooper – Shadow Home Secretary

Yvette Cooper GB Labour MP Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford

Yvette Cooper
GB Labour MP Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford

Work and pensions minister under Gordon Brown, Ms Cooper has spent the last four years as shadow Home Secretary, famously often giving Home Secretary Theresa May a good grilling in the House of Commons. Following her husband Ed Balls’ departure from Parliament, will Yvette Cooper be in contention to regain face for the Labour party?

Liz Kendall – Shadow Minister for Care and Older People

Liz Kendall GB Labour PPC Leicester West

Liz Kendall
GB Labour PPC Leicester West

Liz Kendall is tipped as a Blairite contender that has the potential to take Labour in a new direction. Ms Kendall was first elected in 2010 as MP for Leicester West, appointed to the shadow front bench in the same year and currently the shadow minister for care and older people. As former special adviser to Harriet Harman, Liz Kendall was the first MP to announce her intentions to succeed Ed Miliband, but will she be successful in gaining the role she needs in order to tackle the Tories head on?

ALL PHOTOS CAME FROM THE LABOUR PARTY WEBSITE www.labour.org.uk 

Cecily Sheppard

Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know
Heinz Takes Beans Bus to Williamson Square
Merseyrail Strikes Continue This Week
Welcome to Liverpool – A (Very) Short Round Up of the Guild
ANNOUNCED: Welcome Week 2017