Guitarist in 5 Seconds of Summer, Michael Clifford, has suffered burns to his face following accidentally walking into the band’s pyrotechnic display.
The Aussie pop-rockers were halfway through their penultimate UK show when Clifford was seen walking into the pyrotechnic, setting his hair on fire.
Following the mishap, which saw Clifford run off stage trying to control his smoking hair with a towel, Saturday’s show at London Wembley Arena had to be cut short. The band’s drummer, Ashton Irwin, announced the news to concerned and confused fans saying:
“Michael has hurt himself so we will not be continuing the show right now. He is okay.”
The news of this event comes after Clifford spoke onstage at Friday night’s show about how much he loved the explosions this tour had brought with it.
The 19 year old was lucky to escape without serious injury, and has stated “If I obviously don’t want to have my picture taken right now please don’t take my picture 🙂 see everyone tomorrow!” This seems to imply Clifford may be well enough to play in the band’s final sold-out Wembley show this evening.
Clifford’s bandmates seem keen that he will make a speedy recovery.
The fans’ reaction to the incident has mostly been one of floods of get well messages, with #GETWELLSOONMICHAEL trending on Twitter last night.
Michael’s mishap happened as the band was in the UK closing shows of its Rock Out With Your Socks Out tour, which sold-out in most venues. After the shock accident, however, we’re glad to see Michael is getting better and join fans in wishing him a swift recovery.