Sports Report – Wednesday 11.11.15

We got off to a good start this Wednesday, with two walkovers handing us our first two wins of the day. Both the women’s first table tennis team and the men’s football second team won their games due to their oppositions failure to provide a side.

Luckily for us these were just the starting blocks for a Wednesday full of sterling results we truly deserved to achieve.

The first win of the day came when the men’s second basketball team took on the University of Bolton’s first team. In what ended up as close game, we managed to beat UoB by 55 baskets to 51, moving us into the next round of the Northern Conference Cup.

This happened also for the men’s seconds’ hockey team who managed to defeat their opponents 1-0 in what was a well fought game on both sides.  They have moved through to the next round of their cup.

More mixed results came in volleyball. While the women’s first team managed to beat Manchester Met 3-0, the men’s firsts did the opposite and unfortunately lost to the University of Leeds.

Like in volleyball, mixed results were seen in this weeks netball matches. Out of the four games played Liverpool won two. The first was the match between Liverpool women’s firsts and Durham women’s firsts which saw Liverpool absolutely annihilating their opponents with a result of  43 – 21. This is a good win for the team and continues their impressive unbeaten record this season. The second was a much closer game finishing with just one goal in it.  Luckily this fell to our women’s second who got a much-deserved win out of this match.

Some more unfortunate scores fell for our two men’s rugby teams. Both the union and league team lost their games this week. In the closer out of the two matches the first rugby league team lost by only 6 points to the University of Sheffield. Whereas unfortunately the ruby union game wasn’t quite as close, seeing Liverpool thirds being defeated 50-0 by the University of Lancaster’s seconds.

The final regrettable result of this week came for the mens first fencing team who were set to play the University of Leeds first team. Unfortunately like many of the other games this week, this one was close. However in this case, the points went to the other team and saw us being defeated by 10 points. The final score was 129 – 119.

On what a busy sporting day, full of ups and downs, there are still two positive results left to report. This includes the Women’s first badminton team who beat local rivals Edge Hill University 8 – 0 in what was a heated derby.

Finally in the Northern Conference Cup the women’s first football team have moved into the next round in what could be considered one of the results of the week. In an astounding 9 – 0 win over Leeds Trinity, the team played spectacularly and rounded off this week on a high.

Lets hope next week sees just as good a round of results if not better!

To go and support our teams, fixtures can be found on British University and Colleges Sport website, it would be great to get as many people out as possible. Good luck to all teams playing next week.

Send us your results and pictures to be featured next week.

Layla Bray

Welcome to Liverpool – A (Very) Short Round Up of the Guild
ANNOUNCED: Welcome Week 2017
Students vote to rename Liverpool Guild’s Aung San Suu Kyi room after Kitty Wilkinson
Lab Report: Puppies in the Guild
Wellbeing Week (8th -12th May) : What’s On