Draws all round for Merseysiders

Liverpool and Everton look to bounce back after failing to come away with maximum points.

On a cold and wet afternoon on the south coast, it was Southampton who came away the happier of the two teams. With Liverpool having fifteen shots at goal, and converting none of them, they certainly felt like they had dropped two points rather than gained one.

It was a frustrating afternoon for the Liverpool attackers, not least Roberto Firmino, who squandered by far Liverpool’s best chance of the game, dragging his shot the wrong side of the post on the 67th minute.

Firmino’s ability to hide his frustration was faltering with it becoming increasingly clear that he knew it wasn’t going to be his day.

sportsnews2

Image: Getty

The conditions at St. Mary’s grew increasingly torrential, something which many of Liverpool’s overseas players will have to become more accustomed to. The long journeys back from their respective countries looked to be wearing off on the Liverpool players with Coutinho dropping deeper and deeper as the game unfolded.

The root of Liverpool’s frustration evolved from the valiant defending from Saints’ centre back partnership of José Fonte and Virgil Van Dijk. Neither were affected by the weather and both played with a determination which couldn’t be faulted. This top performance however could be bad news for Saints fans, with rumours already circulating of Liverpool’s desire to poach Van Dijk, making him the sixth player since 2014 to make the move north.

Liverpool welcomed David Moyes’ Sunderland to Anfield on Saturday. The Ex-Manchester United and Everton manager will be looking to continue his recent U-turn in form with a 3rd consecutive win. This however looks a difficult feat, with Moyes never winning a game at Anfield.

The blue half of Merseyside endured another disheartening performance at Goodison Park as they welcomed Bob Bradley’s Swansea.

Phil Jagielka, fresh from his drinking escapade with Wayne Rooney a week earlier, fouled Gylfi Sigurdsson in the area to give Swansea a 41st minute penalty. Sigurdsson stepped up and calmly sent Everton goalkeeper, Martin Stekelenburg, the wrong way.

Bob Bradley looked set for his first victory as Swansea boss as his well-organised defence absorbed Everton’s second half onslaught. Yet the American had to settle for a 1-1 draw, as Seamus Coleman looped in an 89th minute header after the Swans defence failed to clear a Yannick Bolasie cross.

sportnews-3

Image: Photo: Reuters

Whilst Ronald Koeman and the Everton faithful will have considered this a very winnable game before the match, scoring a last minute equaliser will feel like a lucky escape.

Everton travel to Southampton next weekend in what appears to be another challenging away fixture. If Southampton’s defenders perform similarly to their Liverpool performance, it will prove to be another difficult and frustrating afternoon in front of goal for Merseysiders.

Feature image: Getty

Jamie Russell
Jamie Russell is a student at the university of Liverpool

Independent Liverpool announce new food market
Liverpool City Council Budget Meeting Round Up
Guild Puppy Room tickets sell out in an hour
The Guild is having a Puppy Room!
Shortlist of nominees for The Guild Awards announced