UoL teams victorious on Varsity Tuesday

Feature Image: Sport Liverpool

In a night that featured appearances from both netball and men’s basketball, the Sport Liverpool teams from UoL came top in today’s bout of Varsity competition with LJMU.

Netball // Final Score : UoL 35 – 29 LJMU

First to take to the court at the Greenbank Academy were the netballers. The tension was building, the varying shades of blue were out and about, and Oba Akinwale was there to begin proceedings. They were off. UoL took the lead early on, sitting on 9 points to LJMU’s 5, before leading LJMU 19 – 12 by half time. By the end of the third quarter, the University of Liverpool team had stretched their lead to 27 – 19. John Moores managed to close the gap somewhat, but it wasn’t enough as UoL eventually won the match with 35 points to LJMU’s 29. AU President Gaby Sims congratulated the team on Twitter, saying, “you guys did me proud.”

Men’s Basketball // Final Score : UoL 76 – 54 LJMU

The second match of the evening came from the men’s basketball teams.  By this point the crowd were pumped from the previous on-court exploits, and so were the men warming up to play. Team LJMU were first to edge in front, leading 19 – 13 and then finishing the first quarter 4 points ahead of the Sport Liverpool team from UoL. In the second quarter though, the University of Liverpool fought back, leading LJMU by 38 points to 29 by the halfway point. Three quarters of the way through, UoL had retained their lead, going into the final segment ten points ahead. Team LJMU fought hard, but in the end it wasn’t enough as the team from UoL only furthered their control, finishing the night 22 points ahead of their rivals: 76 – 54.

Cecily Sheppard

Students vote to rename Liverpool Guild’s Aung San Suu Kyi room after Kitty Wilkinson
Lab Report: Puppies in the Guild
Wellbeing Week (8th -12th May) : What’s On
Dr. Stuart Wilks-Heeg’s French Election Night Playlist
French Election : Voting begins in the presidential run-off