The Collections
The Collections

French Election : Voting begins in the presidential run-off

Voting has begun in France as today marks the final round of the country’s presidential race.

The polls see Emmanuel Macron take on Marine Le Pen to become the eighth president of the Fifth Republic. Since the Second World War, the mainstream Socialist and Republican parties have led the country, yet in this election, neither candidate from these movements has made it to the final day of voting. This has led several to claim this to be one of the most divisive elections in recent French history, with Macron representing En Marche! (Macron left his position as economy minister to form this party) and Le Pen running for the National Front.

According to the opinion polls as we enter the final vote, Pro-European Union centrist Macron appears to have a 23 – 26 percentage-point lead over his far-right rival Le Pen. Regardless of the outcome, France is set to make history tonight, by either voting in it’s first female leader in Le Pen (this also being the closest the far-right has come to leading France since WWII) or electing the country’s youngest ever president in 39-year-old Macron.

This evening, while Liverpool Guild of Students holds an special 2017 French Election Night, our Politics Hour team will be taking to the airwaves from 6pm to discuss the unfolding election results. Naturally, the University of Liverpool’s Head of Politics, Stuart Wilks-Heeg, has also compiled us a French Election Night playlist in anticipation of tonight’s broadcast.

Cecily Sheppard

NUS Delegates for 2018 Announced
Another Student-Only Bongo’s Bingo Date Announced
Gender Politics?! In my Guild?! A Short History of the Gender Preferendum
Liverpool Bus Strikes – What Students Need To Know
Heinz Takes Beans Bus to Williamson Square