Students vote to rename Liverpool Guild’s Aung San Suu Kyi room after Kitty Wilkinson

The newly named Kitty Wilkinson room (Image courtesy of Liverpool Guild of Students)

Following a round of voting, the Aung San Suu Kyi room in Liverpool Guild of Students has been renamed.

Earlier this year, a student at the University of Liverpool prompted the renaming of the room via a Change It due to Suu Kyi’s controversial actions. The Change It petition received over fifty upvotes, promoting it to consideration for implementation by the Guild. Following discussions, students were invited to submit suggestions of new names for the room, with these then being shortlisted and the final decision put to a student body vote.

Unveiling the newly chosen name, Liverpool Guild reports that over 1400 votes were cast, with students finally deciding to name the room after Kitty Wilkinson.

On the voting page, Liverpool Guild posted information about each shortlisted person to help students cast their vote, writing the following about Kitty Wilkinson:

An Irish migrant, Kitty Wilkinson became known as the ‘Saint of the Slums’. During the cholera epidemic she owned the only boiler in the neighbourhood and opened her home so those with infected clothes or lines could use it, a simple act of kindness, which saved many lives. Wilkinson’s initial efforts became the first public washhouse in Liverpool. Ten years later her work resulted in the opening of a combined washhouse and public baths, the first in the United Kingdom.”

The other shortlisted submissions were April Ashley, a transgender activist, George ‘Theo’ Brancker, the first black student to be elected President of a UK Students’ Union, and Abdul Sattar Edhi, a Pakistani philanthropist and humanitarian.

Of the new name, Guild Vice President Yasmin said:

‘I’m really glad that students had the opportunity to contribute to the name change. It was the right decision to change from Aung San Suu Kyi to instead recognise the work of a local Scouse hero.’

Feature Image Credit : Liverpool Guild of Students

Cecily Sheppard

ANNOUNCED: Welcome Week 2017
Lab Report: Puppies in the Guild
Wellbeing Week (8th -12th May) : What’s On
Dr. Stuart Wilks-Heeg’s French Election Night Playlist