Wed 19 Sep on LSRadio
LSRadio x BBC Radio 1
Scott Mills & Chris Stark

New schedule starts soon
Join us at Freshers Fair
Wed 19 Sep on LSRadio
LSRadio x BBC Radio 1
Scott Mills & Chris Stark

New schedule starts soon
Join us at Freshers Fair

University Students Petition For Strike Action Compensation

A petition to Professor Dame Janet Beer, the University of Liverpool Vice Chancellor, has been published on the website Change.org, in which just under 1000 students at the university are petitioning for tuition fee compensation “for the loss of 14 days of our education”. This comes after the University recently notified students via mass email that the university staff union, UCU, would be expected to take industrial action from 22nd February to 16th March.

The petition was started by student Ying Tang, who states the following in the petition description:

“We, the students of the University of Liverpool, feel that it is fair and just that we are compensated for the loss of 14 days of our education. Mathematically, this equates to exactly £1079.16 (24 weeks x 5 days = 120 days. Each day costs roughly £77.083) and this should be deducted from our tuition fees.”

Our fellow student media outlet, The Sphinx, published an article this week assessing the potential impacts of the UCU industrial action: https://www.thesphinx.co.uk/2018/02/university-staff-strikes-will-affect-students/

The Change.org petition can be found via this link: https://www.change.org/p/professor-dame-janet-beer-compensate-university-of-liverpool-students-for-strike-action

LSRadio News will bring further reports on this story as soon as they come through.

Mikey McCusker
Mikey McCusker
Co-Station Manager

University of Liverpool Men’s Rugby League – Angus Parkin, Captain : Interview
Liverpool Strikes Could Continue as UCU Reject Pensions Deal
Listen Again: SO Election Results Special
Candidate Interviews – Student Officer Elections 2018
Student Officer Elections 2018- Who’s Been Voting So Far?